Re: critical problem

On 2006-01-06, dagecko <dagecko@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's been a while I have critical problems when using my linux,
> about 3 or 4 years I guess. Before, all was okay. I doubt in many
> things like the fact that I used the nvidia drivers, also in xmms,
> but the problem persists even without using them.
>
> Here is a description of what is happening:
>
> Sometimes, the harddrive shuts down (I can hear it shut down and I
> can see the harddrive led on). And all my system hangs, I simply
> can't do things anymore but to shut down my computer and restart.
>
> It happened often when using xmms while using nvidia drivers for
> my graphic card, but also happend when not using those drivers.
> It also happens when not using xmms. I suspect it's a problem with
> the second harddrive (slave on the first ide).
> It happens with several motherboards (VIA, SIS).

It sounds like the hard drive is failing.

--

-John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)

  • critical problems
    ... things like the fact that I used the nvidia drivers, also in xmms, ... but also happend when not using those drivers. ... Harddrives are both Maxtor 80Go with 2Mo of buffer. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • critical problem