Re: STT6201U Tape drive compatibility

Thanks Matt,

Recent kernels treat USB thumb drives as pseudo scsi so it gets
/dev/sd? as device name. So can I safely assume that it would do
similar to USB tape?

How about parallel port drives like ditto 3200? Are those compatible?

Thanks,

Dances With Crows wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2006 14:07:26 -0800, cbhargava staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:
> > Is anyone out there using [a] STT6201U USB tape drive with Linux? Is
> > the drive compatible with Linux?
>
> USB tape drives are (still) sort of rare. However, there are a number
> of references to USB tape devices in /usr/src/linux-2.6.12/drivers/usb/
> . That makes me think that if you have a recent kernel, you should be
> able to plug in a USB tape device and have it work as a pseudo-SCSI
> device, probably on /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0 like normal SCSI tapes. I
> didn't see any references to the model# you mentioned anywhere in the
> 2.6.12 source though.
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
> http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
> -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  • Drives missing at boot
    ... finds its disk drives at each boot. ... Capabilities: Advanced Error Reporting ... 00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI USB ... Capabilities: PCI Advanced Features ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Largest External HDD I Can Use With a Dimension 8200?
    ... Got the problem with the external Maxtor OneTouch II drive resolved. ... I totally uninstalled and reinstalled the Maxtor software, and used a different USB port on the back of my D-8300. ... These problems with ALL THE USB DEVICES started about 6 months ago, and increased with frequency until recently they became intolerable. ... I use the two front USB ports to connect my PNY Flash Drives, and get errors when plugging in to forward connector, but not the back one. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Installing Fedora without a CDROM: my HOWTO
    ... Here is my HOWTO on installing Linux from a USB drive, ... disk or USB key rather than a CDROM boot disk. ... Put auxillary files (special drivers, post setup install config, ... This way I can mount any number of hard drives in the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Booting Vista from external drive violate MS EULA?
    ... of OS install to diff drives. ... Meaning this boots off usb vista, if there is another hard drive ...
  • Re: Windows7 on a memory stick -- possible?
    ... Now you got fast USB caddy drive that doesn't melt inside the caddy. ... Install windowpws into virtualbox. ... So I would recommend all distro mainters look at their netbook ... As the pocket drives cost only 40 pounds, ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)