Re: STT6201U Tape drive compatibility

On 2006-01-17, Dances With Crows <danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2006 20:23:11 -0800, cbhargava staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:
>> How about parallel port drives like ditto 3200? Are those compatible?
>
> Those use a different module, ftape or zftape IIRC. It's usually not
> worth it to use parport tape devices because they're even slower than
> USB 1 and a lot of them are lower-capacity than a DVD+-R.
Well, if all you have is a paraelle port drive... you take
what you can get ;). I had a DSS2 Scsi-2 tape drive that was slow as
snot on a 10MB/S scsi cable. Have the ability to get another HP
SureStore 6000 DDS-2 unit. Thinking of it. Got about 50GIGS to back
up over a 10base2/t lan (its a hybrid lan both thin-net and Cat-5) In
my tests with the older DDS-2 unit.. via lan backups... Go for a
Pizza and movie when you start tar cvMf /dev/st0 / , might as well go
out dancing too!

--

From the Desk of the Sysop of:
Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. Not yet back online

.