Re: Mouse not recognized by FC4

On 23 Jan 2006 09:30:03 -0800, d staggered into the Black Sun and said:
> For some strange reason I'm unable to get my serial mouse to work
> under FC4. During and after install and through the setup program I've
> been unable to configure the mouse. First, how can I determine which
> com port the mouse is installed on?

9-pin serial mice are pretty old tech, so it's not surprising that FC4
didn't try to recognize them. The first serial port is /dev/ttyS0 , the
second is /dev/ttyS1 . Back up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (since it
partially works) and edit the entry for the mouse to change it to look
something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "something" # Don't change whatever it was originally
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Auto" # usually works for serial mice
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0" # for COM1
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off" # adjust to taste
Option "Buttons" "3" # however many buttons you have
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # only if your mouse has a wheel
EndSection

# Note, you need a line like this in the ServerLayout section. Change
# SendCoreEvents to CorePointer if this is the only mouse on the system.

InputDevice "something" "SendCoreEvents"

....so once you've changed it, restart X and see if it worked. If it
fails, restore your old xorg.conf because a partially working X is
better than no X. Then check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors and
warnings and try to change xorg.conf again to avoid those errors. HTH,

http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  • Re: FC4 Inspiron 9300 etho trouble
    ... Need help accessing Internet on Inspiron 9300 & newly installed FC4. ... Used another computer to download ethernet controller source files from Broadcom, but when I follow Readme instructions to use rpmbuild I get error ... I've been unable to install the Broadcom etho controller. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Sharing file systems
    ... I have ubuntu 5.10 on my system and using FC3 since it was released. ... I tried to install FC4 on my system by sharing the swap and /home ... My question is that can is sharing /home okay for a long run or will ...
    (Fedora)
  • FC4 Installation Report (3 failed 1 success)
    ... I have tried to install both x86 and x86_64 DVD on 3 difference ... FC4 test 3 doesn't ... Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block ...
    (Fedora)
  • Reproducible Filesystem Corruption on FC4 (Long)
    ... I was excited about the developments in FC4 and, over the weekend, ... After wiping the system I booted from the DVD and began the install. ... the directories that I had copied from my backup device. ... I eventually reinstalled CentOS 4 and restored my backup without issues. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Grub doesnt install
    ... My problem is, though, that I can't boot FC4 at all, because grub didn't ... contains lilo from my install of Mandrake, ...
    (Fedora)