Re: Mouse not recognized by FC4

On 23 Jan 2006 09:30:03 -0800, d staggered into the Black Sun and said:
> For some strange reason I'm unable to get my serial mouse to work
> under FC4. During and after install and through the setup program I've
> been unable to configure the mouse. First, how can I determine which
> com port the mouse is installed on?

9-pin serial mice are pretty old tech, so it's not surprising that FC4
didn't try to recognize them. The first serial port is /dev/ttyS0 , the
second is /dev/ttyS1 . Back up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (since it
partially works) and edit the entry for the mouse to change it to look
something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "something" # Don't change whatever it was originally
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Auto" # usually works for serial mice
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0" # for COM1
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off" # adjust to taste
Option "Buttons" "3" # however many buttons you have
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # only if your mouse has a wheel
EndSection

# Note, you need a line like this in the ServerLayout section. Change
# SendCoreEvents to CorePointer if this is the only mouse on the system.

InputDevice "something" "SendCoreEvents"

....so once you've changed it, restart X and see if it worked. If it
fails, restore your old xorg.conf because a partially working X is
better than no X. Then check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors and
warnings and try to change xorg.conf again to avoid those errors. HTH,

http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL
.