Re: Server management card[ot?]

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:07:38 -0500, Jarek <jarek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello!

I'm looking for some solution, to get access to PC console over
ethernet or serial port. Of course I know that I can configure lilo and
kernel to use ttyS0, but I'd like to access to PC also before lilo will
start, to see the full boot process (including possibility to
enter/change BIOS settings).
I've heared about some PCI cards which can emulate VGA/KBD, sending
output over net, but I can't find them on the internet.
Can anyone knows something about it ?

One possibility is a kvm. Some will let you access the console(s)
via tcp. Here's one I saw recently

http://www.buildtoorderservers.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=139

I know I've seen others in the past.

  • Server management card[ot?]
    ... to get access to PC console over ethernet or serial port. ... Of course I know that I can configure lilo and kernel to use ttyS0, but I'd like to access to PC also before lilo will start, to see the full boot process. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")
    ... I've been tempted to volunteer to become the upstream maintainer ... for lilo myself. ... and DSF (Device Support Facilities). ... was that a new kernel was installed without lilo being run. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it
    ... At my pace of kernel file growth, I won't hit the lilo 22.8 16MB limit ... You see, the kernel image on disk, ... The compression ratio for an amd64-architecture kernel is significantly ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Choosing default OS in multi boot system
    ... I do not hate grub, since when you do not have complex needs it ... But when you need to take control on your boot loader, Lilo is ... install a new kernel, you have to tell LILO where to find the new file. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: boot/repair floppy or CD
    ... The information you put in lilo.conf is used by lilo when you run lilo. ... the other runs without any kernel, ... kernel proper is booted, the root file system mounted, and "init" reads /etc/inittab, and finds instructions to run the script /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)