Re: What versions of the kernel support HT or dual core CPUs?

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:38:37 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

I'm contemplating getting a new PC and since part of it's life it will
have to be an office-tool running Windows (not my idea of a good time but
...), something modern with a HT or dual core CPU seems appropriate.

1. I assume that the newer kernels support these. Is that correct?

2. What's the oldest version of the kernel I can use that successfully
supports these hardware features?

3. Assuming that, for compatibility with one project that I have to
support, I need to (sometimes) run the 2.2.18 kernel. Would this kernel
even run on a HT/dual core CPU?

TIA
Norm

The problem with running an antique kernel on any modern hardware is that
the old kernel isn't going to have all of the drivers that you need. Your
best bet is probably to run a modern distro and then use VMware to host
the old distro on top of the current one.
.