Re: What versions of the kernel support HT or dual core CPUs?

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:38:37 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

I'm contemplating getting a new PC and since part of it's life it will
have to be an office-tool running Windows (not my idea of a good time but
...), something modern with a HT or dual core CPU seems appropriate.

1. I assume that the newer kernels support these. Is that correct?

2. What's the oldest version of the kernel I can use that successfully
supports these hardware features?

3. Assuming that, for compatibility with one project that I have to
support, I need to (sometimes) run the 2.2.18 kernel. Would this kernel
even run on a HT/dual core CPU?

TIA
Norm

The problem with running an antique kernel on any modern hardware is that
the old kernel isn't going to have all of the drivers that you need. Your
best bet is probably to run a modern distro and then use VMware to host
the old distro on top of the current one.

  • What versions of the kernel support HT or dual core CPUs?
    ... to be an office-tool running Windows, ... something modern with a HT or dual core CPU seems appropriate. ... I assume that the newer kernels support these. ... I need to run the 2.2.18 kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: OT: Yet Another Unhappy Customer for Vista
    ... You could probably custom-compile a modern kernel that will run on a 386, but you won't be able to bootstrap the kernel on that 386 from a modern distro. ... and the new Office suite is as well, and it has MANY really cool features ... They did create some good stuff though such as MS-Works and older varieties of MS-Word. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: C or C++ for FOSS/linux?
    ... And most people _prefer_ to use a modern software like they ... Well you can argue Vista is evolution after Xp, ... I see for example all sorts of shit happening in Linux kernel 2.6, ... The freedom to attack whenever and wherever we want. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
    ... That's the way it has been for a _long_ time anyway, for any modern ... driver which uses request_firmware. ... more careful about than kernel ABI interfaces.... ... hpa is working to provide a lot of what is needed in klibc. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Athlon 64 issue
    ... ->> I assume this is not a dual core CPU and you are not running the SMP ... -> This is a single core CPU and an UNI kernel. ... -> particular hardware more than anything else. ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)