Re: pci bus enumeration

"rafi" <katherrafi.i@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:1153116460.192861.149280@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Hi all,

I want to know the PCI fundas
1. How the PCI Buses are enumerated while booting linux?
2. How it detects the Vendor ID,Device ID,etc., and make the device
structure for various cards?
3. What Happens if two or more same cards which are having same DEVICE
ID,VENDOR ID,and
SUB-SYSTEM ID connected to the slots.I mean to say,
Are they having same IRQs,same IRQ_FLAGS(SA_INTERRUPT/SA_SHIRQ)?
4.In the prev case, Is kernel allocate any different adderss space
for each (same kind of) cards ?
Please reply me ASAP
Thanks
Rafi.

You can't have two devices with the same PCI ID and device ID simply
because you can't plug two cards in the same PCI slot. The numbering
isn't done by linux, it's done by the bios and the pci controller.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

  • Re: ATI Radeon 9600se VS ATI X300se
    ... if Phil's motherboard only has PCI Express slot he should be aware ... higher end PCIex cards burn much hotter- think about system cooling. ... > computer that uses AGP graphics cards. ... Note that computers that use PCI Express 16 video cards ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: More than one audio codec on a PC mobo
    ... The goal was to use sound chips because of their attractive pricing ... If you don't want to roll your own cards, find a Magma PCI cage. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: More than one audio codec on a PC mobo
    ... The goal was to use sound chips because of their attractive pricing ... If you don't want to roll your own cards, find a Magma PCI cage. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: SCO Technical Articles to say "tata".
    ... > cards in a machine that needs to perform well. ... It's good that ISA ... The pci version are also much ... When they ported to sco, ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: What motherboards are based on Intel 915 and Intel 945 chipsets
    ... The vendors of the cards prefer Intel because in ... known to work well with PV149 or Kodicom series DVR cards I'll be glad ... Is 1 PCI bus enough? ... I suspect that if you are using 5 capture cards, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)