Re: cant install SUSE 9.3, 10.0, 10.1 on raid0

Rick Moen wrote:
John-Paul Stewart <jpstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
nixon wrote:
another issue is when i boot up with dvd 64bit version of 10.0. my dvd
is plextor 755sa SATA.
SATA support for DVD/CD drives is fairly new (under Linux) and may still be considered experimental. I don't know off hand what kernel version Suse 10.0 may have, but it's possible (quite likely, even) that it simply doesn't support SATA DVDs.

John-Paul: FYI, in my limited experience with SATA-connected DVD/CD
drives, the various Jeff Garzik libata-type drivers have supported them
just fine.

Interesting...last time I looked at it, I found a post saying not to rely on SATA/ATAPI support as it was still experimental. The post was from Jeff Garzik, but I don't recall off hand how long ago it was made. What kernel versions have you had success with?

  • Serial ATA (SATA) on Linux status report
    ... Serial ATA (SATA) for Linux ... Hardware does not support hotplug. ... drivers/ide driver status: Production, but see issue #1, #2. ... full SATA control including hotplug ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: PCIe SATA HBA for ZFS on -STABLE
    ... Not interested in SATA III 6GB at this time... ... The main issue is I need at least 10 ports total for all existing ... an "affordable" controller might be one driven by Silicon ... FreeBSD does have support for many Silicon Image chips via the siis ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • RE: W2K3 Clustering 2 nodes -- 2 questions
    ... I have not heard of anyone doing this with SATA, however it may work for testing purposes. ... This message is provided as is and does not imply any warranty or gaurantee of support of any kind. ... If you just want to build a personal cluster to ... |>quorum device will actually be on the node's local HDD ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)
  • Serial ATA (SATA) status report
    ... non-standard SATA port controls. ... Hardware does not support hotplug. ... full SATA control including hotplug ... libata driver status: Alpha. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Updated SATA support patches for Intel ICH & Promise cards
    ... |> This is only HW support and does not address other ata/FreeBSD issues. ... | I havn't looked into hotswapping SATA much yet, ... SATA drives since you have to read the registers and do reset etc. ... this especially for things like Intel when they just expose the SATA ...
    (freebsd-current)