can't mount (ntfs?) usb memory stick

I am trying to mount a usb memory stick that I think might be set up
with NTFS as the file system. Is it possible to use an NTFS USB memory
stick with Linux (Fedora Core 2)?

I've tried a number of possible solutions but to no avail. The memory
stick is recognized by the system (appears in hardware profile
available from menu with correct manufacturer's info) but I can't read
any of the files on it (or successfully mount it).

This is what I get when I try to do a generic mount:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/memflash
mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel

I tried forcing the mount with type vfat, but that didn't work either:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/memflash
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too
many mounted file systems

If I try

mount -t ubsdevfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/memflash

I don't get an error message, but I don't see anything useful in
/mnt/memflash

ls /mnt/memflash
001
002
003
004
005
devices

The file "devices" includes some info about the memory stick in the
last section (under bus 1), but I can't see the files that are on the
stick and I can't write to the memory stick.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

.