Re: large format slide/negative scanner

ray <ray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
: On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:35:09 +0000, joseph2k wrote:

: > ray wrote:
: >
: >> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:56:08 -0400, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
: >>
: >>> ray wrote:
: >>>> I find myself in the position of needing to scan in several hundred
: >>>> medium format negatives - 2.5x4 inch. My current Epson scanner only does
: >>>> 35mm. I see that Epson has some scanners capable of 2.5 inch, but I'm
: >>>> thinking it might be good to get something capable of at least 4x5. I
: >>>> see that HP has a scanjet 4370 photo that does 8.5x11 and sells for
: >>>> about $100 on their online store.
: >>>>
: >>>> Is this a good Linux scanner? How does it do on b&w negatives, color
: >>>> negatives, color slides?
: >>>
: >>> The HP ScanJet 4370 isn't listed at http://www.sane-project.org/ at all.
: >>> So it may or may not work.
: >>>
: >>> If I were you, I'd look at something a little higher-end than that. It
: >>> might work, but it might not produce acceptable results. The 4370 is an
: >>> entry-level office or home scanner, not really intended for scanning
: >>> film and negatives. The Epson 4490 PHOTO and 4990 PHOTO models, while a
: >>> *lot* more expensive, are aimed more at the semi-professional arena.
: >>> Both come with suitable transparency adapters for slide/negative
: >>> scanning. (AFAICT, that isn't even an option with the HP unit.) The
: >>> 4990 is supported by SANE. (4490 may or may not be; it's not listed at
: >>> all.) Both are also supported by Epson's own driver, available from
: >>> http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html. Of course, all of
: >>> these also double as office-use flatbed scanners. If you really want
: >>> quality, dedicated film scanners are an option, but very pricey and not
: >>> likely to be supported under Linux.
: >>>
: >>> You've only mentioned scanning negatives and slides, but the HP you're
: >>> looking at is optimized for office use. I think the Epsons are worth a
: >>> look!
: >>
: >> Thanks for the comments. I checked the sane listing and could not find the
: >> HP listed. I currently have an Epson Perfection 2400, and I'd certainly be
: >> happy to stay with Epson. The situation is that I'm really quite happy
: >> with my current scanner and I would not be looking elsewhere at all if it
: >> did the larger format. We'd like to keep the price down, since this is
: >> really a one time event. Basically, my mother is 94, and likely to pass
: >> away soon (complicated story) and my sister would like to have all her
: >> negatives (and prints and slides) scanned. A bunch of the negatives go
: >> back as far as the '30's - a lot of them are 2.5" x 4" - so I need to be
: >> able to handle that. I just thought that it might be more useful if it
: >> does larger formats as well. The bulk of the scanning will be b&w
: >> negatives. There are also a lot of color slides, but I've not committed to
: >> doing them. We have scanned a few of the negatives, and they are coming
: >> out quite well.
: >>
: >> I've been happy with Epson's support of scanners, and didn't know what the
: >> status might be on HP.
: >>
: >> thanks for the reply.
: >
: > My Epson 3170 Photo has many negative holders, and one one of them looks
: > like 2.5" by 4".
: >
: > joseph2k

: Thanks. I was kind of looking to see if I could find an inexpensive
: scanner (for Linux) that would do large format (4x5"), but I really don't
: need that - just thought it might add some flexibility down the road. I'm
: settling on an Epson 4490 refurb from the Epson online store - it will
: happily do the 2.5x4's, and that's all I need at the moment.

The 4990 works well with 4x5 as well as MF.
--