Re: large format slide/negative scanner

ray <ray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
: On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 01:35:09 +0000, joseph2k wrote:

: > ray wrote:
: >
: >> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:56:08 -0400, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
: >>
: >>> ray wrote:
: >>>> I find myself in the position of needing to scan in several hundred
: >>>> medium format negatives - 2.5x4 inch. My current Epson scanner only does
: >>>> 35mm. I see that Epson has some scanners capable of 2.5 inch, but I'm
: >>>> thinking it might be good to get something capable of at least 4x5. I
: >>>> see that HP has a scanjet 4370 photo that does 8.5x11 and sells for
: >>>> about $100 on their online store.
: >>>>
: >>>> Is this a good Linux scanner? How does it do on b&w negatives, color
: >>>> negatives, color slides?
: >>>
: >>> The HP ScanJet 4370 isn't listed at http://www.sane-project.org/ at all.
: >>> So it may or may not work.
: >>>
: >>> If I were you, I'd look at something a little higher-end than that. It
: >>> might work, but it might not produce acceptable results. The 4370 is an
: >>> entry-level office or home scanner, not really intended for scanning
: >>> film and negatives. The Epson 4490 PHOTO and 4990 PHOTO models, while a
: >>> *lot* more expensive, are aimed more at the semi-professional arena.
: >>> Both come with suitable transparency adapters for slide/negative
: >>> scanning. (AFAICT, that isn't even an option with the HP unit.) The
: >>> 4990 is supported by SANE. (4490 may or may not be; it's not listed at
: >>> all.) Both are also supported by Epson's own driver, available from
: >>> http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html. Of course, all of
: >>> these also double as office-use flatbed scanners. If you really want
: >>> quality, dedicated film scanners are an option, but very pricey and not
: >>> likely to be supported under Linux.
: >>>
: >>> You've only mentioned scanning negatives and slides, but the HP you're
: >>> looking at is optimized for office use. I think the Epsons are worth a
: >>> look!
: >>
: >> Thanks for the comments. I checked the sane listing and could not find the
: >> HP listed. I currently have an Epson Perfection 2400, and I'd certainly be
: >> happy to stay with Epson. The situation is that I'm really quite happy
: >> with my current scanner and I would not be looking elsewhere at all if it
: >> did the larger format. We'd like to keep the price down, since this is
: >> really a one time event. Basically, my mother is 94, and likely to pass
: >> away soon (complicated story) and my sister would like to have all her
: >> negatives (and prints and slides) scanned. A bunch of the negatives go
: >> back as far as the '30's - a lot of them are 2.5" x 4" - so I need to be
: >> able to handle that. I just thought that it might be more useful if it
: >> does larger formats as well. The bulk of the scanning will be b&w
: >> negatives. There are also a lot of color slides, but I've not committed to
: >> doing them. We have scanned a few of the negatives, and they are coming
: >> out quite well.
: >>
: >> I've been happy with Epson's support of scanners, and didn't know what the
: >> status might be on HP.
: >>
: >> thanks for the reply.
: >
: > My Epson 3170 Photo has many negative holders, and one one of them looks
: > like 2.5" by 4".
: >
: > joseph2k

: Thanks. I was kind of looking to see if I could find an inexpensive
: scanner (for Linux) that would do large format (4x5"), but I really don't
: need that - just thought it might add some flexibility down the road. I'm
: settling on an Epson 4490 refurb from the Epson online store - it will
: happily do the 2.5x4's, and that's all I need at the moment.

The 4990 works well with 4x5 as well as MF.
--

  • Re: recommendations on Linux friendly scanners?
    ... ray wrote: ... My Epson V200 scanner just crapped out on me. ... I like an Epson refurb from the Epson online store. ... I downloaded that latest driver too. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How to scan Instamatic / 126 slides
    ... I've finally found a scanner which will ... It's an Epson Perfection 1670 photo flatbed. ... My Nikon film scanners will also do this. ... I have a Minolta Multi pro Up to the 6x7 ...
    (comp.periphs.scanners)
  • Re: Scanner problem, Epson Perfection 2480 Photo Scanner
    ... My Epson scanner suddenly stopped working. ... tried uninstalling and reinstalling, running utilities, starting in safe ... Scanner works great on my wife's computer, ... the registry, or edit it, it I knew what the entries should be. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)