Re: SATA controllers and kernel port assignment in Linux

Whoever <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Is there an easy, safe way to migrate from the old raidtools style RAID to
the new auto-detect mdadm type arrays?

I don't remember what we did, but we created a RAID 1 with raidtools2,
and later just managed it with mdadm, no reformatting required. AFAIK
there is an older RAID format, but my impression from reading the
documentation was that that format could also be managed by mdadm.

- anton
anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Most things have to be believed to be seen

  • Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
    ... 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1 ... you can force rebuilds in mdadm in situations where no firmware raid will ever let you. ... Send me your problem disks that you think are impossible to assemble and I bet in a little while I can tell you how to assemble the array as long as there actually is enough there to use. ... One thing I've seen, which I don't think is your problem but shows the kind of thing that happens, a disk will drop out of the array and reappear instantly as a higher drive letter than the system really has. ...
    (SuSE)
  • HELP Recover software RAID5...
    ... I am hoping some brilliant sysadm can help me recover my software raid 5. ... Over Time as the media drive was filled up, I add additional drives to the ... mdadm: /dev/sdh1 requires wrong number of drives. ... mdadm: /dev/sdh has wrong uuid. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: raid/mdadm help
    ... help for a newbie setting up a raid storage device? ... are using raid. ... defaults to left-symmetric mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric ... /dev/sdb1 appears to contain an ext2fs file system ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Mdadm -- Restoring an array
    ... past, when I've tried to restore a RAID, I've had trouble with it. ... The man page for mdadm makes it look like a RAID can be reassembled ... to tell mdadm to scan local drives and re-assemble an existing RAID. ... Of course, if a drive is replaced, you'll need to create a new conf file. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Help: F11 anaconda doesnt see my hard drives
    ... When you say softraid, you mean linux software raid, rather than bios raid or hardware raid? ... Something in Anaconda is failing to see the second and the third drive on a machine with the first drive being an IDE drive, and the 2nd and the 3rd drive being SCSI drives. ... It doesn't see the drives, but I can flip over to the ALT-F2 shell, and run mdadm --assemble --scan. ... This sounds as if either the raid or scsi modules are not being loaded. ...
    (Fedora)