Re: is there an Boot Sector or Partition Table on usb flash disk?

Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

"freegnu" <freegnu@xxxxxxx> wrote:
is there an Boot Sector or Partition Table on usb flash disk?

Most usb flash disks contain a master boot record with a partition table.
When mounting those disks you should do something like:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/hd

However, I have seen at least one mp3 player which didn't have partitions,
instead it should be mounted with:

mount /dev/sda /mnt/hd

With such a usb flash disk you might be a little confused. The system has
no way to know if there is a partition table and you might assume that the
disk contains a partition table. By interpreting the contents in the
beginning of the disk as a partition table you get something that looks
like a broken partition table containing partitions with strange ids and
geometries.

regards Henrik
Isn't this just a matter of how the device is set up? Could I just format
the whole device to create /dev/sda or instead use cfdisk to make partition
table and then format to yield /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 ... etc?

Haven't tried, just curious.

Happy New Year!
Roby
.