Re: IDE vs ATA vs SATA.

john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a homebuilt system with two Maxtor drives. Thay are ATA drives
but are driven by an IDE connection on my motherboard. Here is what
Slackware Linux says when I boot:

[snip]

Periodically I buy a new drive and replace the oldest one. Tiger
direct offers both IDE drives and SATA
drives. Can I buy an SATA drive and just plug it in? If not what else
do I need to make the SATA drive play?

No. You'll need get a SATA compatible controller PCI card.

Am I better off just buying an IDE drive and going to SATA when I do a
major systems upgrade (new motherboard etc. )?

I'd say so. SATA is definitely better at the high-end, but for the rest
of us the difference in performance is negligible. IDE is still
supported in most new mobos so you won't lose out with buying IDE now.

  • Re: AAAAaaaarggghh... (was) Re: Board will not see SATA HD... .. .
    ... My intentions are to let Acronis clone my current IDE ... drive to SATA after which I'll boot to the SATA and remove the IDE HD. ... module won't "recognize" drives, ... I've even used this adapter, inside a USB to IDE 5.25" ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • AAAAaaaarggghh... (was) Re: Board will not see SATA HD... .. .
    ... My intentions are to let Acronis clone my current IDE ... drive to SATA after which I'll boot to the SATA and remove the IDE HD. ... module won't "recognize" drives, ... I've even used this adapter, inside a USB to IDE 5.25" ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: How do I insrtall XP from scratch?
    ... If you still want an expansion card after Paul's ... Using IDE, you won't ... If I install a sata drive, ... | At the same time I dont want to lose the optical drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Is SATA compatible with IDE Hard drives
    ... I've yet to encounter a single motherboard that did ... not permit a boot from a properly-connected PATA hard drive. ... I don't own any SATA capable PCs, ... > complaints about simultaneous IDE and SATA hard drives, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Install Sata drivers
    ... >>> beacause it already includes all the required sata, raid, etc drivers. ... >>the purposes of allowing WinXP to install without pressing F6. ... > connected via IDE -- i.e., there's no necessity for these drives to ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)