Re: linux (debian) and RTL8201 on asrock K8NF6G

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:08:37 +0100, RRB staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
RRB wrote:
Some sources suggest [the] forcedeth driver but it doesn't work.
Some googling [told me] that the nic is divided in 2 chips: the PHY
that is [an] rtl8201, and the MAC which could be [a] sis900, but in
the case of [our] motherboard (an AsRock K8NF6G) is based upon nvidia,
so the driver seems to be forcedeth

What does lspci say about this thing? That should usually be your first
stop when you're dealing with unknown hardware. If lspci says it's a
FOO, and kernel module BLAH is supposed to work with FOO but it doesn't,
it may be time to contact the kernel guys. Or use a newer kernel.
Which kernel are you using? Debian Stable's kernel is ancient and
may not grok this particular chipset if it's newer than ~1 year old.

But manually selecting this driver in the netinstall process of debian
testing doesn't [get me] anywhere: it [starts] complaining about [not]
having [a] detected nic.

Yeah, network-install things do that when they can't find a NIC. See
first paragraph.

--
Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the giraffe and the other to fill the bathtub

  • Re: sound blaster card
    ... Full details are below, but essentially lspci sees ... it appears the kernel is not recognising your card. ... and then try alsaconf again. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Specify devices manually in exotic environment
    ... Well, usually the BIOS enables access to the IDE bus, but not with me. ... Also lspci does not show any device identifiers -- just loads of cryptic numbers.. ... 00000000-0008efff: System RAM ... 00100000-00303920: Kernel code ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: sound blaster card
    ... Full details are below, but essentially lspci sees ... Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1006 ... it appears the kernel is not recognising your card. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: HPET regression in 2.6.26 versus 2.6.25 -- found another user with the same regression
    ... >> lspci -vvxxx ... Elitegroup Computer Systems Device 2621 ... Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus ... please try attached patch, and send out lspci -vvxxxx again. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Interesting tidbit: NetMos 9835 card, IRQ, and ACPI
    ... chipset (lspci output below) and NetMos PCI 9835 ... Boot with no fancy options on kernel command line. ... the serial port does not work: ... # modprobe parport_pc ...
    (Linux-Kernel)