Re: Missing Partition Tables

In article <slrnf1ljrs.ffd.danSPANceswithTRAPcrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
danSPANceswithTRAPcrows@xxxxxxxxx says...
Jim James staggered into the Black Sun and said:
The system seems to be working just fine. I added the 2 IDE drives to
fstab and the drives mount automatically on bootup. I'm curious why I
see "Disk /dev/hde doesn't contain a valid partition table" (both
drives) when I run fdisk -l.

fdisk -l checks for a partition table on all IDE/SCSI disks that are
present. If there's no partition table on a disk, you get that message.

I thought I created partitions on both drives. Maybe I forgot to write
the partition tables to the drives, but the drives are working fine.

Post the fstab entries for the disks. /dev/hde = entire disk, master on
IDE channel 2. /dev/hde1 = first partition, master on IDE channel 2.

Is that because each drive has a single partition using the entire
drive? Is there any downside to doing this?

Some tools expect disks to be partitioned. And if the disk isn't
partitioned, you can't use gparted to resize the partitions and
filesystems on those partitions. Unless you're using LVM on the entire
disk, but you generally want to run pvcreate on partitions for various
reasons. Mostly because if a partition is type 0x8e, you're not going
to try to mount it directly, you'll do vgchange -a y first.

Should I back up the files on the drives, partition the drives, and
copy the files back, or just leave it alone?

Depends on what your long-term plans are and how much data you've got on
the disks. If you can deal with the weirdness of not having a partition
table, and so can everybody else, this isn't necessary.

These are the lines I added to fstab:

/dev/hde /shared ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg /backups ext3 defaults 1 2

  • disklabel and fdisk cant write to disk. Interactive versions?
    ... When I run fdisk and dislabel from /stand/sysinstall, ... This happens on all four scsi drives on this system, ... BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1 ... The data for partition 1 is: ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: My 3rd sata drive
    ... I didn't verify this but I'm sure that with only 2 disks the first two ... partition to boot is, somewhere along the boot it starts looking at the ... and doing the "root " command also shows how grub sees the drives ... I booted a grub floppy with 4 drives plugged in and can ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: RAID & /boot
    ... First, although GRUB can't boot from a RAID partition, LILO can. ... Second, Linux does RAID on partitions, not whole disks. ... so you should probably plan to plug in an extra IDE controller card. ... Sometimes Linux tries to shuffle the /dev names for the drives when ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: How to Expand HDD on SBS 2003 SP2
    ... Upgrading the disks to larger disks. ... I used various Imaging software to grab images onto an external HDD but had no end of issues with the software either not seeing the drives at all or supposedly successfully re-imaging - and at the same time re-sizing the partitions - only to be non bootable. ... This also gave me the opportunity to create a better partition structure that I could move the data files to later as well. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • convert dynamic to basic in sbs 2003 (partition size problems)
    ... software mirrored scsii drives split into 3 drives. ... I set the disks up as basic then converted to dynamic (as the original ... My only other options are retest surface, browse partition ... Now Im guessing as these are software mirrors the other way I may be able to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)