Re: Another "What Motherboard Should I Buy" question

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:01:44 -0600, Mark Adams wrote:

Greetings.

I'm looking for advice/recommendations on a new mobo and other parts.
My current desktop is an Intel WN845D, 2.6 GHz P4, 1 GB of RAM, AGP4
slot. I'm running Mandriva 2007 and I just don't have enough horsepower
to run the Beryl desktop.

Sure you have enough horsepower. 2.6 GHz P4? Plenty of power. What you
need is more RAM. I have friends running 3D desktops on 32-bit notebooks
in the 1.6 to 2.0 GHz range, and all run smoothly.

As is when I open a new Firefox window, the CPU load jumps to 100% and
cruises there for several seconds while the window opens. If I've got
two or three torrents downloading and some other process running in the
background, I may wait 20 or 30 seconds for the window to open. I
initially thought this might be because my ATI Radeon 9250 was bogging
down, but that wouldn't account for the high CPU load.

Extra RAM will help. Check your swap. If it's getting hit hard or is
nearly full, then not enough RAM is the problem.

Also, check the driver for that Radeon card. Is it the one that is
specifically for that card and enables the 3D rendering or just a
"generic" one?

Also, not running 3 torrents at the same time will free up resources. I
find they can really slow down a system, particularly when the torrent is
accessing the files on your system. That's why I don't use any.

At any rate, time to upgrade. I am shooting for something like this:

Intel Core 2 Duo at about 2.3 GHz
2 GB RAM
Nvidia PCI express graphics
Gigabyte ethernet
Two SATA hard drives
A DVD writer (SATA?)
The usual handful of USB, serial, parallel ports,
Firewire ports for my video camera (PCI card is okay here)
And a powersupply that will put up a reliable, honest 500 Watts.
Oh and a snazzy black, half-tower case that isn't made of some exotic
material like aluminum and doesn't have windows and lights in it.

Looks good. I'd suggest considering MBs only with an nVidia chipset,
since nVidia has native Linux drivers.

I think that's about it. Proposed budget is around $700, but I am
somewhat flexible.

You may need more money. Those Core Duo CPUs are still pricey. And it
doesn't look like they'll come down in price any time soon.

I was able to build my AMD 64-bit system for about $500, but I didn't need
a DVD burner (that spare CD writer sitting in the closet worked just fine)
or a second SATA drive. An unused IDE one was all that was needed. I only
use it for storage/archiving anyway. So, it didn't need to be all that
fast.

I know I want the Core 2 Duo, but I have no idea what mobo to build this
around. Anybody have any suggestions about any of this?

Go here and plug in your requirements: http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/
It'll spit out all the boards that satisfy them.

Stef
.