Re: Another "What Motherboard Should I Buy" question

Stefan Patric wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:01:44 -0600, Mark Adams wrote:

Greetings.

I'm looking for advice/recommendations on a new mobo and other parts. My current desktop is an Intel WN845D, 2.6 GHz P4, 1 GB of RAM, AGP4 slot. I'm running Mandriva 2007 and I just don't have enough horsepower to run the Beryl desktop.

Sure you have enough horsepower. 2.6 GHz P4? Plenty of power. What you
need is more RAM. I have friends running 3D desktops on 32-bit notebooks
in the 1.6 to 2.0 GHz range, and all run smoothly.

I may have not been clear about this point -- I can run the 3D eyecandy, but it's too slow to be useful. Oh! but I can't get some of the choicer effects, like water.

As is when I open a new Firefox window, the CPU load jumps to 100% and cruises there for several seconds while the window opens. If I've got two or three torrents downloading and some other process running in the background, I may wait 20 or 30 seconds for the window to open. I initially thought this might be because my ATI Radeon 9250 was bogging down, but that wouldn't account for the high CPU load.

Extra RAM will help. Check your swap. If it's getting hit hard or is
nearly full, then not enough RAM is the problem.

Swap isn't taking much of a hit at all. Gkrellm says it's 743M free of 996M. Pumping Azureus full of downloads will bump that up to something more like 50%, but I've never seen it higher.

Also, check the driver for that Radeon card. Is it the one that is
specifically for that card and enables the 3D rendering or just a
"generic" one?

It's the OS fglrx driver. I think it may be the generic OS Radeon driver. It allows 3D direct rendering with AIGLX.

Also, not running 3 torrents at the same time will free up resources. I
find they can really slow down a system, particularly when the torrent is
accessing the files on your system. That's why I don't use any.

I don't do it regularly, but from time to time I do work the torrents.

At any rate, time to upgrade. I am shooting for something like this:

Intel Core 2 Duo at about 2.3 GHz
2 GB RAM
Nvidia PCI express graphics
Gigabyte ethernet
Two SATA hard drives
A DVD writer (SATA?)
The usual handful of USB, serial, parallel ports,
Firewire ports for my video camera (PCI card is okay here)
And a powersupply that will put up a reliable, honest 500 Watts.
Oh and a snazzy black, half-tower case that isn't made of some exotic material like aluminum and doesn't have windows and lights in it.

Looks good. I'd suggest considering MBs only with an nVidia chipset,
since nVidia has native Linux drivers.

How about Intel boards. I'm looking hard at something like the DG965WH. The DG965 series come with something like the GMA X3000 onboard graphics. Beyond onboards, I'm looking at buying an Nvidia PCIE card.

I think that's about it. Proposed budget is around $700, but I am somewhat flexible.

You may need more money. Those Core Duo CPUs are still pricey. And it
doesn't look like they'll come down in price any time soon.

Preliminary research indicates that I can get pretty close for $700, but I'm pretty sure it's going to wind up costing more.

I was able to build my AMD 64-bit system for about $500, but I didn't need
a DVD burner (that spare CD writer sitting in the closet worked just fine)
or a second SATA drive. An unused IDE one was all that was needed. I only
use it for storage/archiving anyway. So, it didn't need to be all that
fast.

I know I want the Core 2 Duo, but I have no idea what mobo to build this around. Anybody have any suggestions about any of this?

Go here and plug in your requirements: http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/
It'll spit out all the boards that satisfy them.

I can't get anything on core 2 duo boards. 8-\

Stef

Thanks much for the input. I appreciate the wisdom of your experience.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

Measure twice, cut once.