Re: Another "What Motherboard Should I Buy" question

Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Mark Adams <mark9117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I may have not been clear about this point -- I can run the 3D eyecandy,
but it's too slow to be useful. Oh! but I can't get some of the choicer
effects, like water.

Is hardware accelerated OpenGL enabled?

glxinfo | grep direct

Actually that's not a reliable indicator. E.g., I have hardware
accelerated OpenGL on my machine. If I run glxinfo on another machine
with DISPLAY set to my machine, it says:

[b6:~:6400] glxinfo | egrep -A2 "direct rendering|OpenGL vendor"
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
--
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 AGP 8x TCL

glxgears gives me about 1100fps (and that's across ssh and a cable
modem:-), so the 3D acceleration is actually used, even though there
is no direct rendering.

- anton
anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Most things have to be believed to be seen