Re: Another "What Motherboard Should I Buy" question

anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Anton Ertl) wrote:
Is hardware accelerated OpenGL enabled?

glxinfo | grep direct

Actually that's not a reliable indicator. E.g., I have hardware
accelerated OpenGL on my machine. If I run glxinfo on another machine
with DISPLAY set to my machine, it says:

[b6:~:6400] glxinfo | egrep -A2 "direct rendering|OpenGL vendor"
direct rendering: No

It is true that you don't get hardware accelerated direct rendering when
using a remote display. In fact, with X.org 7.0 and older you didn't get
any acceleration at all but reverted to mesa software OpenGL when using a
remote display.

Since X.org 7.1 hardware accelerated indirect rendering is supported. This
means that you will be able to use hardware accelerated features on a
graphics card even though the graphics card and the display is connected
on another machine than the machine running the OpenGL application. Of
course with indirect rendering you can't expect the same performance as if
the application would be running on the local machine as the network most
likely will become a bottleneck.

I haven't tried hardware accelerated indirect rendering with X.org 7.1 or
7.2 myself. Some years ago I used an SGI machine as display to remotely
login to a linux server and start tux racer. The SGI X server was capable
of hardware accelerated indirect rendering.

regards Henrik
root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  • Re: hardware acceleration, radeon driver 6.14 (unstable)
    ... |> Does anyone know if version 6.13 *should* support hardware ... |> acceleration for this chipset or if I simply have to be patient a little longer? ... OpenGL vendor string: X.Org ... OpenGL renderer string: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Draw Performance Improvement
    ... If you look at the display driver, you should see that some functions ... >> acceleration usually only works with bitmaps from CreateCompatibleBitmap, ... >> and not the display card's video memory. ... For the display hardware to ...
  • Re: OpenGL will never catch on
    ... >> which doesn't have 3D acceleration. ... Cello sucks because it won't run on Movitz because Movitz ... I was merely claiming that you won't be able to _usably_ use OpenGL on ... on any reasonably modern hardware without someone from the hardware ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • RE: Create Overlay Failed
    ... Display>Settings>Advanced>Troubleshoot>Hardware Acceleration. ... display Tab and Enable DirectDraw acceleration. ... Can anyone help me fix this? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
  • Re: Framebuffer programming
    ... >> Could anyone point me towards any API reference for programming the ... > Why do you think it's dead? ... and that doing complicated stuff in OpenGL is probably ... acceleration. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)