Re: CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y

"Michael Mauch" <michael.mauch@xxxxxx> je napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:kf9uh4xm68.ln2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FreeStyler wrote:
I have install Knoppix 5.0.1 on my hard drive and according to a manual
for
a PCMCIA UMTS-GPRS card
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Vodafone_UMTS-GPRS_PCMCIA_Adapter)
I need CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC installed as a module.
I found in my /boot/config-2.6.17 that
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y is iinstalled directly in a kernel
and
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=m

I downloaded my kernel source (2.6.17) and start
make menuconfig
trying to change CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC to a 'm' but that driver
don't
support that option.

You can build "USB Serial Converter support" as a module (with [*] "USB
Generic Serial Driver") in order to get the usbserial module.

Regards...
Michael

I was thinking that with [*] I didn't get a module. Ok. But how then is
marked by Knoppix when I found:
in my /boot/config-2.6.17 that
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y
What then "y" means?
I ask that because in a manual:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Vodafone_UMTS-GPRS_PCMCIA_Adapter
it is wrote that
USB Serial Converter... ---> USB Generic ...
must be compiled as a module, to got:
lsusb -v
idVendor 0x0af0 Option
idProduct 0x6000
bcdDevice 0.00
iManufacturer 1 Option N.V.
iProduct 2 Fusion UMTS GPRS WLAN
iSerial 4 Serial Number
...I still don't got that
And I didn't shore that is on that way set on my Knoppix.

.