Re: linux for old laptop?

I demand that CptDondo may or may not have written...

[snip]
My laptop is an old, old Compaq Armada, pIII-166, 06 MB RAM, works like
a charm for playing music on my deck.

As for installation, I think you can bootstrap a floppy installation using
Tom's RBT. I think you set up a partition on the hard drive, dump the boot
iso to it, and then boot using the iso. I must have done it, as I have a
really old laptop that has no CD, and it has linux. But don't ask me how I
did it....

When I last did that, I used a couple of floppy images from a Debian i386
install CD and did a network install. On the etch install CD, the images are
in install.386/floppy: you need boot.img then root.img then, if you have an
external CD-ROM drive, cd-drivers.img.

That said, given an external CD-ROM drive, install/sbm.bin is more
appropriate.

| + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

Experience is the name which we give to our mistakes.

  • Re: Replacing hard drive
    ... twin drives boot using Grub. ... long ago about how to make XP do a repair from it's install disc. ... What happens is you make an iso of the stage2_eltorito data file in pretty ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Installing freeBSD
    ... My interest is to install and configure freeBSD on my desktop computer.I have downloaded the iso for i386. ... If you have a floppy drive make the boot floppy as explained on the handbook,and then install ... To unsubscribe, send any mail to ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: installing Fedora 10 from USB Disk On Key
    ... I have downloaded Fedora 10 installation iso. ... I want to install it from USB disk on key as my DVDrom is not working. ... and then boot from the USB disk on key (after setting the BIOS to boot ... Do you have a running Fedora system on that machine already? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: where can I download the suse7.3 boot.iso?
    ... i can't see iso in ftp.suse site. ... bootdisk: Standard bootdisk ... boot pc with bootdisk, goto modules, select netwrk card model, install ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Booting from iso file
    ... Booted windows install, but every time I run it, it hangs at 14% of copying the files, the hard disk seems to power down, and it stops copying. ... After I didn't find a solution to that specific problem, I thought I could boot the iso from hard disk directly... ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)