Re: Recommendations for laptop for travelling

scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Scott Alfter) writes:

In article <1bwsv3re9l.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(2) worse, the local sysadmins seem to decide completely at random
what ports they regard as security holes. While I have been places
where I couldn't get ssh or vpn, I've been more places where I
couldn't open an X connection.

As long as port 22 is open (and I've not been anywhere that it wasn't), you
can tunnel X, VNC, etc. over SSH (it's a good idea to do that anyway, as
neither X nor VNC are secure by themselves). I've even tunneled SMTP over
SSH to bypass local-network mail restrictions.

My wife was at a conference in the UK during the summer in which port
22 was blocked. She wasn't able to get out to anything but web
access.

  • Re: Security Breached
    ... I have a typical home network that looks like this: ... on both the DMZ and port forward questions. ... I have the vnc port blocked at the router so I presumed it was safe to ... they done it port forwarding over SSH (if your assumption of only SSH ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Should I buy an older imac for my Grandma?
    ... a couple of weeks ago I finally got around to putting VNC Server ... At some point I'll probably protect it with SSH. ... Port forwarding port 22 through the router ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
    ... port 22 on your internal machine, so you will need to keep ssh up to ... I configure the router to forward a different external port to 22 on my ... For good measure pick usernames that are none obvious, ... root/password: 163 times ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Security Breached
    ... I have a typical home network that looks like this: ... I have the vnc port blocked at the router so I presumed it was safe to ... they done it port forwarding over SSH (if your assumption of only SSH ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • [NEWS] SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service (Mocana)
    ... SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service ... Dell Remote Access Card 4 allows customers to effectively manage ... After the use of such a port scanner, ...
    (Securiteam)