Re: Recommendations for laptop for travelling

scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Scott Alfter) writes:

In article <1bwsv3re9l.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(2) worse, the local sysadmins seem to decide completely at random
what ports they regard as security holes. While I have been places
where I couldn't get ssh or vpn, I've been more places where I
couldn't open an X connection.

As long as port 22 is open (and I've not been anywhere that it wasn't), you
can tunnel X, VNC, etc. over SSH (it's a good idea to do that anyway, as
neither X nor VNC are secure by themselves). I've even tunneled SMTP over
SSH to bypass local-network mail restrictions.

My wife was at a conference in the UK during the summer in which port
22 was blocked. She wasn't able to get out to anything but web
access.
.