Re: Broken USB detection on RH 9.0

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:11:20 -0700, piotreek23 wrote:

[snip]
You don't have to blow away RH9 to install a new distro, just put the
new distro on a different partition and then give it a try. If all of
your applications work then you are good to go. If they don't (very
unlikely) then you can drop back to RH9. You are spending a lot of time
trying to get things to work that will work out of the box on
RHEL5/CentOS5.

RH9 hasn't had an update of any kind for years. It's full of security
holes that have been fixed years ago.

OK I understand you ;) but I working only 2 month for now. Lets forget
about upgrade.
My problems with USB started couple days ago in other words whe have saw
that our streamer is offline in HP Data Express.Only thing i was doing
was instalation of SCSI Adaptec 29320ALP-R module from RPM package.
Today i found that this adaptec is broken and not working propertly with
my E4U matrix. You can find my topic about this on this group.
I tested it on CentOS 4.5.I have a small question could it by caused
(USB stop working) by hardware failure?USB modules are usb-ohci and
usb-ehci they are loading but after messeges about found usb hardware at
*** i get strange message usb_control/bulk message timeot and device is
deregistered.When i try to plug in USB mouse there is nothing in dmesg
log. Thank you for your help and greating Peter ;-)

I doubt it's a hardware problem but I suppose it could be. There is
something else you could try. Build a 2.4.35.2 kernel, get the sources
from http://www.kernel.org/

This is the latest 2.4 kernel, it will have more recent drivers than your
current kernel. There is minimal risk in installing a new kernel because
your old kernel isn't removed. You'll have the option of booting the old
kernel or the new one. Try the new one and see if that fixes your problem.

  • Several OOPSes in net/sched/sch_generic.c, kernel/softirq.c (and other places)
    ... I have witnessed several kernel oopses in a vanilla 2.6.32 kernel of different patch levels. ... As I have no idea how I can trigger this oops -- it just happens after a few hours of running -- I'll list what I'm using the machine for: it's running Debian squeeze with a custom built kernel, vanilla 2.6.32.7 (.config attached). ... A WLAN AP is running over the USB wireless stick, which is bridged with the LAN side of the one NIC. ... # Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Flames over -- Re: Which is simpler?
    ... different from testing whether it has changed -- it could have changed while the system was asleep, with the result that hardware is indeed there but it's not the _same_ hardware. ... It is currently my belief that the kernel probes the hardware the same way after a cold boot, resume from s-t-r, and resume from s-t-d. ... This is why you can suspend to disk, and when you resume, your open files are still valid; the disk is found to be still there, so it continues to be accessible. ... the kernel queries the USB controller to see if a disconnect occurred while the system was asleep. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Flames over -- Re: Which is simpler?
    ... mounted filesystems and what happens to them when you suspend/resume. ... (And USB specs, and lots more ... ... As I have said before, some systems can keep the USB bus in a low power mode where it can wake the system, but AFAIK, waking the system is all they can do in this state; they can not tell the kernel that device x has been connected and device y has been disconnected, the kernel must figure that out by probing the hardware and comparing the list with what it knew to be connected prior to suspending. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • PROBLEM: Oops when using emi62 with 2.6.28
    ... With kernel 2.6.28 (and I don't really know which version of the kernel ... emi62 soundcard usb firmware oops ... 2000-2fff: PCI Bus 0000:02 ... # Infrared-port device drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • problem with linux-2.6.28
    ... ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000 ... Allocating PCI resources starting at cc000000 ... 3243604k/3276480k available (3222k kernel code, 31608k reserved, 1142k data, 312k init, 23 ... USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller Driver ...
    (Linux-Kernel)