growisofs requires rebooting after every burn ?

Hi,

I find that I need to shut down (power off) and restart
the computer after burning any dvd with growisofs (or
any other utility that depends on it). Only after doing
this can I burn another CD or DVD. If I don't do this
the computer just hangs when attempting to burn and
becomes unresponsive to any key pressed from the
keyboard (not even alt-cntrl-del).

I am using kernel 2.6.22.2 with Debian/Etch.

The CD/DVD burner is

TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)

Googling I could find another such report but there was
no solution offered.

I would be grateful for your help.

sincerely
b thomas