Re: growisofs requires rebooting after every burn ?

B Thomas wrote:

Thank you very much for that tip. Doing
a device reset (hdparm -w /dev/hdc) does
fix the problem. The command echoed

DMA disabled
device reset

And then I was to burn just as after a reboot.
Would you also be able to point me towards
where to look (such as log files) to try
and identify what is causing this behaviour
(i.e. the need to reset DVD burner after
every burn).

I do see error messages in /var/log/kern.log.0 such
as

Sep 22 16:39:24 chomsky kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy}
Sep 22 16:39:24 chomsky kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Sep 22 16:39:24 chomsky kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command

but am not sure what to make of it.

Have you tried to use the drive with any other operation systems? To me, it
sounds like a defective drive or bugged firmware.

Do you use DMA while burning? Are the burned discs "good"? Can you
read/eject/read... discs in the drive?

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.