Re: usb hard drive how?

Hactar (ebenZEROONE@xxxxxxxxxxx) writes:
In article <ff1d2c$1j$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Michael Black <et472@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Leo Bing Whiteway (leobingw@xxxxxxxxx) writes:
I was given a 10 gig USB hard drive. It has a jack marked +/- and a
cable with a
USB plug on the end made to plug into a USB socket on the computer. It also
has a USB cable.
The hard drive has:
HI-SPEED
CERTIFIED USB
USB 2.0 TM
I have no more info on it and can't find it with searching Google.
I am having no luck making it work or show up in lsusb.
Have any of you any ideas where I might look for info on how to hook
it up and
try to use it?

That +/- jack sounds like it's for an AC adaptor to plug into. I have
very little experience with USB, and none with USB drives, but I would
think a hard drive might be pushing the limit of power available over
the USB bus. Hence perhaps it needs an AC adaptor to power it up
before it will work, rather than getting power from the USB bus?

I think 3.5" drives take 12V to run the spinny-bits motor, at more
current than it can extract from the 5V@500mA that USB provides.

You're right, drives do generally need 12v in addition to 5v. But,
they will never get that needed 12v out of the USB bus, since the
USB bus doesn't provide anything but 5v.

I would be quite hesitant to start with 12v, for the simple reason
that if the drive is expecting less voltage, you risk doing damage.

We don't know what's inside the unit other than, obviously, the
hard drive and a USB to whatever (presumably IDE) converter. It
may run off 12v and then drop it internally for where it needs 5v,
or it may start with 5v and shift it up to 12v with an inverter, or
it may start with some completely different voltage.

As I said, I have no experience with USB drives. But I barely have
any devices that use AC adaptors that use the same voltage or even
connector. Even that parallel Zip drive I bought last year doesn't
use the same adaptor as the USB Zip drive I bought this year.

Michael

  • Drives missing at boot
    ... finds its disk drives at each boot. ... Capabilities: Advanced Error Reporting ... 00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI USB ... Capabilities: PCI Advanced Features ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Largest External HDD I Can Use With a Dimension 8200?
    ... Got the problem with the external Maxtor OneTouch II drive resolved. ... I totally uninstalled and reinstalled the Maxtor software, and used a different USB port on the back of my D-8300. ... These problems with ALL THE USB DEVICES started about 6 months ago, and increased with frequency until recently they became intolerable. ... I use the two front USB ports to connect my PNY Flash Drives, and get errors when plugging in to forward connector, but not the back one. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Installing Fedora without a CDROM: my HOWTO
    ... Here is my HOWTO on installing Linux from a USB drive, ... disk or USB key rather than a CDROM boot disk. ... Put auxillary files (special drivers, post setup install config, ... This way I can mount any number of hard drives in the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Windows7 on a memory stick -- possible?
    ... Now you got fast USB caddy drive that doesn't melt inside the caddy. ... Install windowpws into virtualbox. ... So I would recommend all distro mainters look at their netbook ... As the pocket drives cost only 40 pounds, ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Booting Vista from external drive violate MS EULA?
    ... of OS install to diff drives. ... Meaning this boots off usb vista, if there is another hard drive ...