Re: access to USB device

MarcB staggered into the Black Sun and said:
My newly delivered Photovoltaic solar panels [came with] a little
device called sunny beam to track the power production of the panels,
and load the data to a PC. When I want to access the device via USB,
the application only shows com ports, and not the USB port. When I do
the same in Xp, It shows the com ports and a menu entry for USB
connection.

It looks like the USB interface is not recognised in linux. it does
not show [up] in lsusb
marc@L1:/media/cdrom0$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1587:002d

No, that's it. There just isn't an entry for vendor ID 1587 product ID
002d in /usr/share/misc/usb.ids , so there's no product name.

When looking in Kinfocenter, the [device is] recognised, so I guess
wine does not recognise the usb interface.

Or there's no kernel module loaded that implements an interface for
whatever this thing does. Is it a USB<->Serial adapter? Those are
relatively common, but I see nothing for vendor ID 1587 in a 2.6.22.1
vanilla source tree.

Any ideas on how to get this working ?

If this thing doesn't use a standard protocol, you're probably going to
have to reverse-engineer whatever it is using. The URL you gave was
totally content-free, so writing to these people and asking nicely for a
specification will probably result in an "Uh, what? Damned if we know,"
response. Or possibly a "We can't give you that information as it's
Super Secret." Hard to say.

I've heard of at least one program that ran on 'Doze and captured all
data transferred over USB. "USBSnoopy" was its name, but it was fairly
difficult to get anything sensible out of it. Or the device I was
trying to use it on was even more nonstandard than usual.

--
He is a rhythmic movement of the penguins, is Tux.
--MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish