Re: external drive

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 02:58:02 +0000, ray wrote:

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:39:13 +0000, user wrote:

Greetings

I'm looking into a purchasing an external USB drive to put PCLinux OS
on it and the use it with a different computer to boot from it. Should
that be powered by USB or direct power is better ? What brand/model
would you recommend ? Will I have troubles using it in Europe where
power is 220V ?

TIA

Andy

I'll add to what the others have said, briefly: USB is still rather
slow. If you can afford it and your hardware will support it, get
firewire.

thank you

i'll be looking for one with both,
to make sure I can connect with the comp if only usb available

Andy

  • Re: external drive
    ... I'm looking into a purchasing an external USB drive to put PCLinux OS on ... it and the use it with a different computer to boot from it. ... Should that be powered by USB or direct power is better? ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ USB BOOT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... boot external sata on usb ... usb boot disk download ... which usb drives will boot dell ...
    (sci.psychology.personality)
  • Re: soundcard SoundBlaster PCI128 or SoundBlaster live1024 problem
    ... > What messages are you getting from boot log and dmesg? ... ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries ... RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 64000K size 1024 blocksize ... USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2 ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Naming harddisks (Linux)
    ... But I also see that for an USB drive it uses /dev/sdas the ... Does GRUB recognize SCSI drives? ... The first step in understanding the boot process is to ... The bootloader's job is to load the OSs kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: USB key requirement.
    ... I figured that after the root partition is mounted (nfs), ... wondering what good means the usb key in this case. ... continue the boot sequence. ... the key would be checked right after the block device is ...
    (Debian-User)