Re: motherboard for debian etch

Ramon wrote:

Lastly, there are many motherboard manufacturers, and many choices of
chipsets for each of them, but if you're looking for quality, then I
recommend Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Iwill, Tyan or even Intel.

Because of great matter of RAM with linux, is it better to install ddr
3 instead of ddr 2 ?

In my opinion, the DDR-3 hype is exactly that: a hype. There are many more
things involved in the actual machine's speed than just the clock frequency
of the processor, the cache, the memory bus, the motherboard, etc.

What people generally don't realize is that memory modules designed for
higher clock frequencies will also have higher latency times, which
eventually make the difference between the "slower" memory type and the
"faster" memory type quite small.

I can understand that someone wanting to install Vista would go for the
absolutely fastest machine on the planet, given the performance reports,
but I am happily typing this message on an old Athlon XP 2800+ (2 GHz) that
still has 333 MHz first-generation DDR memory, and this machine is fairly
fast.

If you want my advice, compare the specs of the memory modules, especially
with regard to latency times, and then see how that compares in their
price.

I've recently compiled a Xen(0)-patched Linux kernel on my twin dualcore
Opteron machine with DDR-2. It took me 50 seconds for the entire build.
Downloading the Xen source code and the Xen tools source code, building and
installing it took no longer than five minutes - I didn't actually time it,
but it was *very* fast. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  • >>>> INSTALL MEMORY <<<<
    ... How To Install Memory Thinkpad T43 ... Install Memory On Sony Laptop ... Instructions Install Memory Dell Xps1210 ...
    (comp.dcom.lans.ethernet)
  • Problems installing 5.1A on XP1000
    ... The drive I'm attempting an install to is an IBM ... 640 MBytes of System Memory ... isa0 at pci0 ... DUMP: Warning: no disk available for dump. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: HOW TO: optimal Windows XP Paging File size
    ... "Change the size of the virtual memory paging file" ... My advice to those genuinely interested in setting an optimum Windows XP ... Lastly, download, install and run Sysinternal PageDefrag ... For example, on a 32 bit WinXP Pro computer with 4 gig of RAM, any ...
  • Re: Dell Dimension 3000 memory add-on
    ... I checked the Dell support pages for the Dimension 3000: ... The machine uses DDR, so it's 184 pin by definition. ... The 865 GV chipset supports dual channel, so for best memory performance, ... Do not install ECC memory modules. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Xen on Ubuntu: DomU hangs on boot
    ... I am trying to install Xen, and I followed the directions at: ... I am unable to ssh into the VM, and typing anything at the "xm console" ... # Kernel + memory size ... Using scheduler: SMP Credit Scheduler ...
    (Ubuntu)