Re: Vista poisons ACPI?

In article <J8w3k.37067$bs3.11457@trnddc07>,
Time Waster <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Shrunk the Vista disk down while installing FC9. Twiddled, rebooted
back to Linux a number of times, everything great. Booted Vista
to make sure it could still be done. Next boot to Linux, it froze
coming up -- something about an ACPI threshold (?) or somesuch, sorry
this will be vague. Retried a couple of times with the same result.
Booted with noacpi, and it works again.

Vista isn't your problem; I have it on a machine that dual-boots between
that and Gentoo, and it never has any trouble switching between the two.

I have an HP notebook (L2000, specifically) that used to need noacpi to boot
properly. I'm not sure when I quit using noacpi, but if you're using an
older kernel (I'm using 2.6.24-gentoo-r5), you might still need it.

I still have reboot=c and pci=assign-busses in my kernel options. You might
give those a shot and see if they help.

_/_
(IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Of mice and men
    ... They're two of the many Linux distributions. ... > provided it has its own partition. ... separate boot partition, but that's the easiest approach - unless ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)