badblocks hangs

I have a laptop drive that causes badblocks to hang, whether called
directly or via mke2fs -c. Is there anything I can do to make the drive
usable?

Bob T.

  • Re: bad sectors on my ntfs partition, what do i do?
    ... then run mke2fs -cc on it - that will do a ... run badblocks with either the -n or -w switch. ... and will be equivalent of a low level format ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: badblocks hangs
    ... read-only test is non-destructive. ... destructive read-write test, and both hang. ... Ctrl-c doesn't stop badblocks, either? ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: hard disk errors on boot up
    ... David Cowie wrote: ... >> I suggest you run 'badblocks' to see if you have a hard drive going south. ... >Does badblocks support reiserfs? ... It can generate a badblock list for input to mke2fs, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)