Re: ATI drivers also tainted ?

Måns Rullgård <mans@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wrong again. In the Linux kernel context "tainted" means that a
closed module has been loaded, thus "tainting" the running kernel as a
whole. The taintedness is not an attribute of the module on its own.

I think the term "tainted module" when used in the context of Linux
kernel modules, would be interpreted as a module without corresponding
source code.

It is also not a matter of morality. It is merely a flag indicating
that unknown code has been loaded, and thus debugging a crash is with
that kernel is likely to be difficult since source code is not
available.

The important thing here is that a module without source code may not
work on a modified or forked kernel variant, and fixes to the module
will probably be difficult to make.

(Have you ever tried to make patches to proprietary operating system
software without the source code? Even with a hardware debugger, it is
not easy.)

It is better that the source code is available and that the modules are
under an open source licence, to make it easier for developers to change the
module as required to suit the revised kernel.

I definitely recommend open source modules over proprietary ("tainted")
modules, and I certainly do not want proprietary modules on any of my
machines.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

  • Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
    ... source code for the part of their Linux kernel images that provides ... the functionality "runs on Tivo DVRs". ... source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 ... WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: ATI drivers also tainted ?
    ... The taintedness is not an attribute of the module on its own. ... kernel modules, would be interpreted as a module without corresponding ... It is the running kernel ... that kernel is likely to be difficult since source code is not ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Would I be violating the GPL?
    ... > A supplier of a PCI mezzanine digital IO card has provided a linux 2.4 ... > distributing the source code), or the proprietary source code license ... > as currently imposed by the supplier. ... I suspect all kernel modules are probably derivative works but I am not ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Embedded processor (and OS, tools) selection for long-life product
    ... This is industrial safety monitoring equipment that also has to meet some minimal radiation rating. ... The biggest change is to add an ethernet port which could be satisfied by some kind of separate serial to ethernet adaptor design as long as all the IP were available. ... The original system design used the Intel i960 running the Intel iRMK kernel. ... You need to make sure that you get the source code for the entire design as well as the source code for the entire toolchain. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: starting with 2.7
    ... >> You're effectively arguing that very little should happen. ... This must be considered relative to the size of the source code. ... as the kernel may then benefit from economies of scale. ... >> getting more peer review for patches, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)