Re: SSD on Linux

Jim wrote:
Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:55:47 -0800, HMB-Sandman:

Has anyone tried this?

Here is my situation:
I have an application that reads stuff from my DB tables, and serves
information out from memory.

Works well, except when the process gets swapped out to disk, ie after
some period of inactivity.

So I was thinking of SSD...and wondering if anyone here had used it. In
particular I am interested in:
1. What would be the most judicious use of SSD? Creating a swap
partition on it? The DB is not the problem here, I'm not going to disk.
2. I've read some articles from a particular storage vendor that warns
against constant accesses to the same cells on SSD, apparently that can
wear it down. Not clear if thats FUD, but if not, are there any
mechanisms to prevent it.

Thanks,
Sandman
Hi,
I'm currently using an ssd as a system disk on a ws.
This stuff is blazingly fast for this purpose.
Some things to keep in mind:
1) Put the swap space on a standard disk
2) Format as ext2 to avoid excessive writings on ssd from the journal
3) Put /tmp on tmpfs (just a couple of MB are actually in use)

That's all.

Is writing really that harmful? Frankly I don't know and don't care much.
The boot is performed in less than half the time.
You'll open your programs almost instantly, included the elephant openoffice. This won't happen even on a very fast hd.

In the first generations yesit is critical. Basically SSD are nothing more than flash. So many writes and they are dead.
I have read, somewhere, that they are starting to overcome that problem in SSD's
caver1
.