Re: scanning under Linux

John Goche wrote:

Hello,

I have a Lexmark X5470 all-in-ine which now that
I have upgraded from Windows XP to Windows
Vista it does not work all the time even despite
the fact that I have installed the new driver from
the manufacturer's site.

I would really like to keep on using the scanner
so I was thinking of installing linux in addition
to Vista on my hard drive and using the scanner
from Linux. The all-in-one is connected to the
laptop via a USB cable.

The problem is that I don't know whether the
all-in-one is supported under Linux and am
not sure how about checking this out.

Furthermore I am not sure what software I
could use from Linux to scan documents
from the device.

Thank you for your advice,

John Goche

I did a quick search and found lots of X5470 owners who had no luck getting
that device to scan under Linux (and some had problems printing). Not a
good sign. Try your own search ... maybe somebody has found the key.

My Epson 2400 scanner works perfectly under Linux. HP scanners are said to
be Linux-friendly as well.

Bryce

  • Re: Why Ubuntu (Still) Sucks - Part 2: Compiz Fusion
    ... In the first part of the video, the unseen demonstrator shows-off Windows Vista Aero, including some of the more talked-about UI effects. ... they show Ubuntu with Compiz Fusion enabled. ... Of course, like most attempts by the Linux community to parrot Windows Vista, the aforementioned "eye candy showdown" misses the forest for the trees. ...
  • Re: Why Ubuntu (Still) Sucks - Part 2: Compiz Fusion
    ... In the first part of the video, the unseen demonstrator shows-off Windows Vista Aero, including some of the more talked-about UI effects. ... they show Ubuntu with Compiz Fusion enabled. ... Of course, like most attempts by the Linux community to parrot Windows Vista, the aforementioned "eye candy showdown" misses the forest for the trees. ...
  • Re: Browser security under Linux
    ... Explorer 7 on Windows Vista has a distinct advantage in protecting ... And no browser on Linux can write to any file / directory for which the user ... Vista provides compile- and run-time protection ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Vista and Ubuntu peaceful coexistence
    ... resident Vista supporters and Ubuntu supporters. ... Working with Linux is pretty interesting. ... similar to the Blue Screen of Death in Windows. ...
  • Re: CP/M Source
    ... You can use Linux or Apple's OS X and use OpenOffice to read and write Word files. ... First of all, my livelihood depends a lot on being able to share files with other people, about 98% of whom are using Windows boxes. ... It may indeed be true that the files transfer between apps with no problems, but I'm not inclined to risk it without proof. ... My wife, whose most complex activities are exchanging emails on AOL and surfing the web, had to wipe and re-install Vista. ...
    (comp.os.cpm)