Re: keyboards

On 2009-10-12, Jim Haynes <jhaynes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ah, yes, I have a friend about that age who will talk your arm off about
the advantages of Dvorak. He has a keyboard he found on ebay with a switch
on it that converts between Dvorak and QWERTY.

I read somewhere just recently that the tests showing the superiority of
Dvorak were actually rigged and it isn't all that good. k

Probably this site:

http://reason.com/archives/1996/06/01/typing-errors

.....which drones on ad nauseam about the dvorak keyboard being a scam.

I could care less. I may know how to touch-type, but never got much
past about 30 wpm, and never neeeded/wanted to, so certainly have no
desire to change key layouts. Besides, the last I heard, some guy on
an typewriter (don't recall if it was mech or elect) was doing 240 wpm
on a the old non-dvorak layout. Apparently, there's no speed problem
with qwerty.

nb

  • Re: OT: keyboard repair
    ... I was already aware that the qwerty design is intended ... > typing without looking at the keyboard. ... > However I do wonder if a real Dvorak keyboard would work for me. ... > About 20 years ago I shot a pretty good pool game. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • [9fans] keyboards and mice and pads
    ... at first i actually moved the keys to train myself, but now i just leave it qwerty and type away in dvorak. ... these days i'm just as fast with dvorak and of course i almost never look at the keyboard, which wouldn't help much. ... the most fascinating thing i found was that i have multiple layouts in my brain, ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Adaptive Peaks in Typing
    ... Dvorak keyboard mapping on my personal computers. ... person would immediately switch. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: DVORAK
    ... I use dvorak and vim. ... the layout is both ... My perception is that with qwerty, ... Others in the family curse when they start typing at my keyboard ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: OT: Easier than Dvorak
    ... Dvorak had come up as a topic of discussion. ... Just looking at qwerty, the letters missing alphabetically from the ... back increases the speed and accuracy of typing. ... >> The Dvorak keyboard was discussed in this group last summer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)