Re: keyboards

On 2009-10-12, Jim Haynes <jhaynes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ah, yes, I have a friend about that age who will talk your arm off about
the advantages of Dvorak. He has a keyboard he found on ebay with a switch
on it that converts between Dvorak and QWERTY.

I read somewhere just recently that the tests showing the superiority of
Dvorak were actually rigged and it isn't all that good. k

Probably this site:

.....which drones on ad nauseam about the dvorak keyboard being a scam.

I could care less. I may know how to touch-type, but never got much
past about 30 wpm, and never neeeded/wanted to, so certainly have no
desire to change key layouts. Besides, the last I heard, some guy on
an typewriter (don't recall if it was mech or elect) was doing 240 wpm
on a the old non-dvorak layout. Apparently, there's no speed problem
with qwerty.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: keyboard repair
    ... I was already aware that the qwerty design is intended ... > typing without looking at the keyboard. ... > However I do wonder if a real Dvorak keyboard would work for me. ... > About 20 years ago I shot a pretty good pool game. ...
  • [9fans] keyboards and mice and pads
    ... at first i actually moved the keys to train myself, but now i just leave it qwerty and type away in dvorak. ... these days i'm just as fast with dvorak and of course i almost never look at the keyboard, which wouldn't help much. ... the most fascinating thing i found was that i have multiple layouts in my brain, ...
  • Re: Adaptive Peaks in Typing
    ... Dvorak keyboard mapping on my personal computers. ... person would immediately switch. ...
  • Re: DVORAK
    ... I use dvorak and vim. ... the layout is both ... My perception is that with qwerty, ... Others in the family curse when they start typing at my keyboard ...
  • Re: OT: Easier than Dvorak
    ... Dvorak had come up as a topic of discussion. ... Just looking at qwerty, the letters missing alphabetically from the ... back increases the speed and accuracy of typing. ... >> The Dvorak keyboard was discussed in this group last summer. ...