Re: Hauppauge HVR 2250 in Suse 11.1?

On Oct 10, 8:00 am, Wolfgang Draxinger <wdraxin...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
jessica6 wrote:
I recently purchased the Hauppauge HVR 2250, and found this
documentation to make it work:

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - LinuxTVWiki
   http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200

I followed the steps, and got no errors.
The relevant dmesg output when I boot:

[dmesg outout]

Looks all fine.

But when I run kdetv, I don't seem to have any valid device.
But if I go to the 'video' settings of kdetv, I see:

That is because kdetv is Video4Linux only, and...

Video4Linux2 Plugin
Video4Linux Plugin
XVideo Plugin

all are checked

... DVB/ATSC doesn't use Video4Linux. For that I have to explain a little
bit: Digital TV tuner cards are more like a recieve only digital interface.
Digital TV works by multiplexing several MPEG2 program streams (=TV
stations) into a single MPEG2 transport stream (and recently MPEG4 AVC in
MPEG4 transport). So a single frequency channel carries the signal of
multiple TV stations, all at once. This is what you tuner card actually
tunes into and hands over to the system, i.e. a MPEG transport stream,
consisting of several programs, that must be demuxed and decoded. You can
actually also record all the programs in the transport stream on a set
frequency at once (also watching one or several stations on that channel
and recording the others).

This is the big difference: A digital TV tuner by nature delivers you with a
multitude of programs at once, which must be separated before being shown..
Video4Linux OTOH more or less provides the naked image data of the one
station you tune into via /dev/video. So there's a substantial difference
in what the TV applications must so. kdetv will simply copy over the data
from /dev/video into a reserved portion of the framebuffer/X shared memory.

Now altough DVB and ATSC use different kinds of modulation and so forth, the
tuner hardware exposes them in the same way to the OS. DVB has a longer
history than ATSC so historically there were first DVB modules in the
kernel, which were then used for ATSC, too.

Your lsmod output:> ...
dvb_core 83684 1 saa7164

  ^^^^^^^^
There it is. So you're all set

Also, I have no /dev/video or /dev/video0

Naturally. Look for /dev/dvb :-)

For digital TV you actually must use some kind of media player. Think of
Xine, MPlayer, VLC, Kaffeine, Totem and so, they will provide a DVB mode
(which also does ATSC).

If you look in Kaffeine, there's a designated mode "Digital TV". That's what
you want.

Wolfgang Draxinger

P.S.: ATSC suffers from the NIH (not invented here) syndrome.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Digital_broadcast_standards.svg

Instead of adopting the well established European standard DVB the americans
had to implement their own digital system, and just like NTSC got it messed
up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_(standards)#Mobile_TV

Even when moving at high speeds with DVB you can watch TV well (think of
commercial airliners here). BTDT.

Wolfgang:

Thanks for the tip!
Yes, I do have a /dev/dvb directory, containing 2 more directories:

adapter0 adapter1

They each contain:

demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0

I think this makes sense, because this TV card has dual tuner.

I fired up kaffeine, and it sees both adapters. However, I can't get
any channels.
There's a DVB section with "Configure DVB". If I go here, I see
several options for tuner type:

us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
us-Cable-EIA-542-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-EIA-542-IRC-center_frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-IRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-CA-SF-Bay-Area
us-ID-Boise
us-MA-Boston
us-MI-Lansing
us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
us-NY-TWC-NYC
us-PA-Philadelphia

As you pointed out, the US standard is ATSC, so that seems like the
logical choice.
However, after selecting that and trying to do a 'scan', I get zero
channels discovered.

In the foreground of kaffeine I see the following message repeated
over and over during the scan for each channel:

========
:~> Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 57028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 63028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 69028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 79028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 85028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB

==========

Do I need manually update the "us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB" file
with correct frequencies for my area?
I thought they would be standard values.

In WinXP, I can use the WinTV 7 program which came with the card. It
works quite well, and picked up all the channels correctly when I did
the first "scan". I couldn't find any file in the Windows
installation directory containing frequencies though.

Any other help would be great.

Thanks again!
.