Re: Hauppauge HVR 2250 in Suse 11.1?

On Oct 10, 8:00 am, Wolfgang Draxinger <wdraxin...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
jessica6 wrote:
I recently purchased the Hauppauge HVR 2250, and found this
documentation to make it work:

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - LinuxTVWiki
   http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200

I followed the steps, and got no errors.
The relevant dmesg output when I boot:

[dmesg outout]

Looks all fine.

But when I run kdetv, I don't seem to have any valid device.
But if I go to the 'video' settings of kdetv, I see:

That is because kdetv is Video4Linux only, and...

Video4Linux2 Plugin
Video4Linux Plugin
XVideo Plugin

all are checked

... DVB/ATSC doesn't use Video4Linux. For that I have to explain a little
bit: Digital TV tuner cards are more like a recieve only digital interface.
Digital TV works by multiplexing several MPEG2 program streams (=TV
stations) into a single MPEG2 transport stream (and recently MPEG4 AVC in
MPEG4 transport). So a single frequency channel carries the signal of
multiple TV stations, all at once. This is what you tuner card actually
tunes into and hands over to the system, i.e. a MPEG transport stream,
consisting of several programs, that must be demuxed and decoded. You can
actually also record all the programs in the transport stream on a set
frequency at once (also watching one or several stations on that channel
and recording the others).

This is the big difference: A digital TV tuner by nature delivers you with a
multitude of programs at once, which must be separated before being shown..
Video4Linux OTOH more or less provides the naked image data of the one
station you tune into via /dev/video. So there's a substantial difference
in what the TV applications must so. kdetv will simply copy over the data
from /dev/video into a reserved portion of the framebuffer/X shared memory.

Now altough DVB and ATSC use different kinds of modulation and so forth, the
tuner hardware exposes them in the same way to the OS. DVB has a longer
history than ATSC so historically there were first DVB modules in the
kernel, which were then used for ATSC, too.

Your lsmod output:> ...
dvb_core 83684 1 saa7164

  ^^^^^^^^
There it is. So you're all set

Also, I have no /dev/video or /dev/video0

Naturally. Look for /dev/dvb :-)

For digital TV you actually must use some kind of media player. Think of
Xine, MPlayer, VLC, Kaffeine, Totem and so, they will provide a DVB mode
(which also does ATSC).

If you look in Kaffeine, there's a designated mode "Digital TV". That's what
you want.

Wolfgang Draxinger

P.S.: ATSC suffers from the NIH (not invented here) syndrome.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Digital_broadcast_standards.svg

Instead of adopting the well established European standard DVB the americans
had to implement their own digital system, and just like NTSC got it messed
up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_(standards)#Mobile_TV

Even when moving at high speeds with DVB you can watch TV well (think of
commercial airliners here). BTDT.

Wolfgang:

Thanks for the tip!
Yes, I do have a /dev/dvb directory, containing 2 more directories:

adapter0 adapter1

They each contain:

demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0

I think this makes sense, because this TV card has dual tuner.

I fired up kaffeine, and it sees both adapters. However, I can't get
any channels.
There's a DVB section with "Configure DVB". If I go here, I see
several options for tuner type:

us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
us-Cable-EIA-542-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-EIA-542-IRC-center_frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-IRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-CA-SF-Bay-Area
us-ID-Boise
us-MA-Boston
us-MI-Lansing
us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
us-NY-TWC-NYC
us-PA-Philadelphia

As you pointed out, the US standard is ATSC, so that seems like the
logical choice.
However, after selecting that and trying to do a 'scan', I get zero
channels discovered.

In the foreground of kaffeine I see the following message repeated
over and over during the scan for each channel:

========
:~> Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 57028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 63028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 69028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 79028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 85028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB

==========

Do I need manually update the "us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB" file
with correct frequencies for my area?
I thought they would be standard values.

In WinXP, I can use the WinTV 7 program which came with the card. It
works quite well, and picked up all the channels correctly when I did
the first "scan". I couldn't find any file in the Windows
installation directory containing frequencies though.

Any other help would be great.

Thanks again!

  • Re: DishNet ViP722
    ... |> tuner is normally used to output only SD to a 2nd TV. ... |> Can I watch an OTA ATSC program while recording 2 HD programs from satellite? ... Now the next thing I need to figure out is if it lets me have channel ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Comparing DTV tuner cards (PCI) tuner sensitivity
    ... Mine are all first generation ATSC circa 2002. ... bought the latest greatest (5th gen tuner at the time) at the latest ... ATSC reception is the antenna. ... signal for channel 2.1 and -40 dBm of signal for channel 7.1, ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)