Re: Barracuda ST31000528AS problem

root wrote:
Piotr Szymañski <szyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB (ST31000528AS) drives in a Linux software RAID-1 configuration. Today I've got a notification from smartd that one of the drives (sda) is failing:

I had two of the 1Tb drives fail within a week of purchase.
Send them back to Seagate for replacement. When you call
Seagate they will warn you that they may reject your drive
if you don't pack it correctly. I simply packed the first
drive in the original box and returned it. They took it
and returned the drive in a big box with lots of foam around
the drive. I returned the second drive in the box they
sent. Since then I have had no problems with the replacement
drives. Something rotten about the first 1Tb drives.

PS if you opt for them to send you a drive before they
get your drive you will get hit with a $25 shipping charge.
The UPS shipping for one drive is about $9.

It may be hard to warranty a drive that has not yet failed...
unless there's a known manufacturing defect...
but worth checking into
.