Re: Barracuda ST31000528AS problem

root wrote:

Piotr Szymañski <szyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB (ST31000528AS) drives in a
Linux software RAID-1 configuration. Today I've got a notification from
smartd that one of the drives (sda) is failing:

I had two of the 1Tb drives fail within a week of purchase.
Send them back to Seagate for replacement. When you call
Seagate they will warn you that they may reject your drive
if you don't pack it correctly. I simply packed the first
drive in the original box and returned it. They took it
and returned the drive in a big box with lots of foam around
the drive. I returned the second drive in the box they
sent. Since then I have had no problems with the replacement
drives. Something rotten about the first 1Tb drives.

PS if you opt for them to send you a drive before they
get your drive you will get hit with a $25 shipping charge.
The UPS shipping for one drive is about $9.
I just went through that game with them: repacking in the original box. I
had already gotten rid of the foam, and had to custom cut some floral
styrofoam to exactly fit the drive, they accepted that. Am keeping the foam
this time.

.