Re: external sound card

François Patte wrote:
I have an ASUS P5WD2 Premium mobo with an integrated sound card: Realtek
ALC882D.

I have a lot of interferences and the sound is not very clear.

Sometimes, this can be fixed by lowering the volume of or muting all
unused inputs.

Does anyone have some recommandations to buy and install an external
(usb?) card which is fully supported under linux?

What features do you need?

Any device that does not need separate driver, i.e., that works with the
built-in drivers of Windows or OS X will also work with Linux. This is
sometimes advertised as "class-compliant".

HTH
Clemens

  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... And I did not ask specificly for linux supported hardware, ... IDE CD-ROMS or DVD drives all ... > the sound events were turned on and the mixer showed volume was maximum ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [OT]: Substitute VMS for Linux in this article
    ... Linux problems, including claims that sound isn't that important in business ... Rick Spencer on the general issue of Linux hardware support: ... As an analogy, say you worked for Coca-Cola since Windows 95 came out, say ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Well, Windows is back on the disk.
    ... >>>There's just some programs not working with sound at all. ... But that puts me even further and further away from Ubuntu, ... >>>And yet, using Windows XP the past three years on this laptop, ... >>i still don't get the point in trying ubuntu (linux), ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Linux and Multimedia-->The Potential is there<<-- But...........
    ... You wouldn't know good audio if it hit you on top ... > Like your Sound blaster 24 bit for example? ... >>Linux, to my ear, has the most powerful, crispest and clearest sound. ... > I'm sure the Mac crowd will love this one. ...
    (alt.os.linux)