Re: laptop and wireless

On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:08:01 -0700, Tecknode wrote:

Consider buying from a vendor who specializes in Linux systems. This is
much better than an off-the-shelf Laptop that may, or may not, be fully
compatible with Linux.

I don't want to do that for a whole variety of reasons, and I need to buy
off-the-shelf via the internet.

It turns out that some manufacturers, including my eventual choice of
Asus, cannot tell what wireless card is fitted to their machines unless
you can tell them the serial number of the specific machine - which
obviously you can't if you are buying off-the-shelf through the
internet. So people in my position can rarely be certain about
compatibility issues when they are buying new kit. You just have to suck
it and see.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber