Re: Newer old hardware

On Wednesday 31 August 2011 08:07 in comp.os.linux.hardware, Henrik
Carlqvist enlightened humanity with the following words...:

GangGreene <GangGreene@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bobbie Sellers wrote:

I don't see any reason to stick with 32 bit
versions unless you have a tool that won't work with
the 64 bit Linux.

That would be wine

Wine is one of the reasons to make sure that you choose a 64 bit
distribution with multilib support to also be able to run 32 bit
binary applications.

There are, of course - and I am thoroughly aware of how rare this has
become on Usenet these days - those of us who have no need for Wine,
since it is intended to run applications written for a pseudo operating
system, and the FLOSS version of Wine is either way limited to running
Wintendo applications for which there are much better native GNU/Linux
alternatives. ;-)

--
Aragorn
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  • Re: what is the limitation wine
    ... >> What is the limitation of wine. ... > You probably won't be able to run MS Office applications with wine ... > windows partition data. ... Linux for most things is counter productive. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [SLE] FYI: OpenSUSE vs Vista
    ... The larger issue of open source v. commercial applications are about ... provides for on-line services that open source projects do not provide. ... is the rate of change of the kernel. ... Because they shipped their own version of WINE. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Wine preloader failed to reserve range
    ... I have been trying to configure wine on opensuse to run various windows ... applications and, I have been able to get quite a few applications ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Delphi To Run Natively on Mac OS X
    ... Some people mean by that that Wine must emulate each processor instruction of the Windows application. ... Windows applications that do not make system calls will run just as fast as on Windows. ... all that WINE is doing is mapping API calls to their appropriate underlying Linux/Macintel API call. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: WINE - Windoze?
    ... I think there are other applications that do this as well. ... and if easier to use than WINE please fill me in! ... the one that came with the preinstalled Windows). ... Other options are of course dual-boot, or Win4Lin, or Zen, among other ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)