Re: failure of Ethernet jack?

On 08/31/2011 04:32 PM, dan wrote:
On 8/31/2011 3:06 PM, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:00:43 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Vwaju
<slack@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm guessing that this Ethernet jack has somehow gone bad.

Get a bright torch and shine it inside the socket and see if there's
crap on one
of the connectors. Also check to see if they look like they are the
same sort
of level and if not, try to (gently) lever the one(s) that are lower
up a bit.
Probably best to perform this operation with the power _off_!

If that doesn't work get a new card. Assuming PCI, it'll run you $5-$15.

/dan

it's a laptop
so no as easy as just replacing the card.

Since working on laptops is more like watch repair than computer repair...I'd do things the easy way and use a PCMCIA card

  • Re: failure of Ethernet jack?
    ... same sort ... it's a laptop ... repair...I'd do things the easy way and use a PCMCIA card ... digging up a new mini-PCI card. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: FC1 Install _appeared_ to work, BUT...
    ... what sort of messages do make it to screen? ... I used to run RHL7.3, dual booting, on a Sony Vaio laptop. ... command prompt only safe-mode in windows but without the GUI). ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Numpty question
    ... to sort it out but would like to have longer to really sort ... to use her Connection (which is Set up on her Laptop, ... She does have to make sure that her Internet Connection is actually ... What about just using M$ NetMeeting to sort it out? ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • RE: Minimal system installation
    ... you need to boot into FreeBSD in order to write a FreeBSD ... Borrow another laptop and temporairly move the hard drive from ... 3com 3c89 pcmcia card (which is one of the few pcmcia cards ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • slightly-OT: centralized user management
    ... have experience with a combined NIS/NFS setup for a computer lab I ... One thing that is an absolute necessity is a sort of "roaming profile" ... laptop and I unplug it from the network. ... it would be necessary for the login credentials to be ...
    (Debian-User)