Re: HDMI sound on GeForce 8400GS

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 01:14:02 +0000, root wrote:

root <NoEMail@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Clark Smith <noaddress@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

cat /proc/asound/cards

?

Here is what I get:

0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xfb620000 irq 66

I got sound!
Following an earlier suggestion I went to:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-
audio.html

This site led me step by step. First: aplay -L
lists all the sound devices. My video card came up as the second.

Then the document said:
For GPUs, which are typically ALSA card 1:

speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,3
speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,7
speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,8
speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,9

This one did it for me:
speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,7

I got sound for the white noise test.

You must be under X to get sound. I had tried this under a console with
no success. I vaguely remember doing the same (console) test several
months ago. Under the console it seems as if the test is running, stuff
comes up on the screen, but no sound comes out.

Now, I know that I have to pass hw:1,7 to the sound configuration, but I
have tried several forms of asound.conf and nothing makes mplayer work.

I did try
aplay aplay -D hw:1,7 somefile.wav
and sound came out.

Can someone please fill in the final gap: what should either .asoundrc
or /etc/asound.conf be to have sound come out from mplayer?

This is what I have in my /etc/asound.conf file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm {
type hw
card 0
device 8
}
}

I guess for you it'd be card 1 and device 7.

Is it possible to have console sound come out of the motherboard audio
and video sound come out of the hdmi without tweaking the config file?

.