Re: HDMI sound on GeForce 8400GS

buck <buck@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
buck <buck@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:jfhho30klp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:pan.2012.01.22.12.02.20.468175@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

root <NoEMail@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I decided that I only invoked mplayer under X in
a few places so it was best for me to just include
-ao alsa:device=hw=1.7
in those scripts.

Or you could try putting the following in ~/.mplayer/config
ao=alsa:device=hw=1.7

regards Henrik

It appears to me that the key is /etc/asound.conf

Would all of you (root, Clark & Henrik) be so kind as to post the
content of asound.conf along with a description of your sound card
(s)?

In .mplayer/config are the section headers honored? By that I mean
that if [gnome-mplayer] and [mplayer] both exist, will each
corresponding software only use the entries specific to it? I get
the
feeling that since gnome-mplayer is only a front end, it will look
at
everything...
--
buck
It occurs to me that it might help to understand that I'd like

That might also alter the content of asound.conf?
--
buck

You can get what you want if, in Gnome, you invoke mplayer
as mplayer -ao [whatever], and elsewhere you simply
use mplayer. Create an alias for mplayer with the audio
device hardwired in. It even work out, if your other
uses for mplayer, aplay,arecord,.... run under console
mode, that you don't have anything to worry about.

  • Re: What have I done?
    ... variable hw.snd.default_unit was refering to the wrong sound card. ... I had mplayer running in one urxvt, ... FreeBSD Audio Driver ... use the sysctl ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Confusing stack effects
    ... create a list of the files for searching with a filter. ... Or you would have the scripts generate several ... And MPlayer is an excellent application, ... thanks for the funny jokes. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: What have I done?
    ... variable hw.snd.default_unit was refering to the wrong sound card. ... sure if thats the ... I had mplayer running in one urxvt, ... I cursed myself for losing focus on my focus, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: HDMI sound on GeForce 8400GS
    ... in those scripts. ... In .mplayer/config are the section headers honored? ... gnome-mplayer to be the only thing using the NVidia sound card, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: linux-kernel-headers foul-up
    ... Well, I'm having serious problems with Mplayer, actually with mencoder ... I have a load of automated 'vcr' recording scripts. ... compile of the mplayer source was about 2 weeks ago. ...
    (Debian-User)