Re: hd malfunction

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:42:24 +0000 (UTC)
john connolly <wconn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
An old pc bit the dust when after it was not used for a couple
of months the hard drive failed. In fooling with the thing I found that
I could not tell if the disk was spinning or not. Is there a simple way
to do that?
Thanks, jwc

You might try taking a large flathead screwdriver and placing the head on
the case, then pressing the handle to that little flap over the entrance to
your ear (so that the flap closes over the hole to your eardrum). I don't
know if an old hard drive makes enough noise for that "stethoscope" effect
to work, but it might...
FWIW, all the old hard drives I own are loud enough to warrant trying
to diffuse the noise. Virtually anything PATA can be heard from a metre
away, when I first fire them up.

--
Slackware 13.1, 2.6.33.4-smp, Core i7 920
RLU #272755