Re: hd malfunction

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:42:24 +0000 (UTC)
john connolly <wconn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
An old pc bit the dust when after it was not used for a couple
of months the hard drive failed. In fooling with the thing I found that
I could not tell if the disk was spinning or not. Is there a simple way
to do that?
Thanks, jwc

You might try taking a large flathead screwdriver and placing the head on
the case, then pressing the handle to that little flap over the entrance to
your ear (so that the flap closes over the hole to your eardrum). I don't
know if an old hard drive makes enough noise for that "stethoscope" effect
to work, but it might...
FWIW, all the old hard drives I own are loud enough to warrant trying
to diffuse the noise. Virtually anything PATA can be heard from a metre
away, when I first fire them up.

--
Slackware 13.1, 2.6.33.4-smp, Core i7 920
RLU #272755

  • Re: buzzing-clicking noises
    ... noise when files or folders are opening and a buzzing noise when I'm ... There could be some damage to the surface of your hard disk drive. ... Bill Ridgeway ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • noise during boot and intoWindows loading
    ... The noise sounds very much like a hard drive clacking and after experimenting with the fans and listening closely to them the noise does not seem to be coming from a fan. ... installed in an Asrock775V88+ computer and the PSU is a Thermaltake...and I hopefully will remember not to buy a Thermaltake PSU again....it was cheap. ... I have thought to install SMART software and will someone recommend a SMART software so I could perhaps inspect the hard drives. ... The raid card began emitting sparks from the motherboard PCI slot synchronizing with each loud clacking noise...would you believe it! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: buzzing-clicking noises
    ... noise when files or folders are opening and a buzzing noise when I'm ... manufacturer; it said something like "standard hard drive." ... but it looks like several manufacturers make "ultra hard drives." ... diagnostic software for the hard drive? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: mac mini for pro tools and pro audio?
    ... recording studio, because the machine itself and the hard drives make too ... much noise for a quiet control room. ... Keep the computer itself and the hard drives in a machine room, ... Pro Tools LE would work fine for radio production, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: VIA CPUs
    ... air without causing turbulence. ... Turbulence creates drag, and also noise. ... Running with the sides off often reduces noise from the PSU fan, ... One box has six hard drives, one of which is outside the case ...
    (Debian-User)