Bluetooth headset in linux from scratch: howto ?

Hello.

I've been looking for a while but can't get a bluetooth headset to
pair and work with my linux pc.

I have seen that btsco is obsolete, and that everything should be
handled by bluetoothd (I have compiled bluez-4.98 with alsa support by
the way).

I can see the headset adress with hcitool scan.

# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:18:91:D0:7A:24 hear01

I can establish a connection with it with "rfcomm connect 1
$HEAR01" (this variable holds the address of the headset) and hcitool
scan seems to show that the connection is established:

# hcitool con
Connections:
< ACL 00:18:91:D0:7A:24 handle 42 state 1 lm MASTER AUTH
ENCRYPT

I have defined a "btheadset" device in my .asoundrc:

# cat .asoundrc
....snip...
pcm.btheadset {
type bluetooth
device "00:18:91:D0:7A:24"
profile "auto"
}
ctl.btheadset {
type bluetooth
}

but I can't get mplayer to use this device:

# mplayer -ao alsa:device=btheadset file.mp3
.... snip...
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa:device=btheadset'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

Any help out there? Thanks!