Can I Resize A Partition With dd?

From: Hank Kingwood (hank_at_bogusaddress.xyz)
Date: 08/24/03

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:36:40 GMT

I modified my /dev/hda3 partition to occupy more physical space with
fdisk and dd by doing this:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=<NFS_path>/hda3.img bs=4096
fdisk /dev/hda
I resized /dev/hda3 to be bigger
mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda3
dd if=<NFS_path>/hda3.img of=/dev/hda3 bs=4096

Everything on the system appears to work. My questions is:

Q1: Would there be any problem with the file system?

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks,
Jack

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 486 and Linux
    ... we need to get fdisk and df outputs. ... Now that you can boot up with the rescue disks, ... that is the /boot file system is entirely below cylinder ... but stop in the BIOS setup and get the BIOS to tell you what ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Problems with Ext2fs on a CF card.
    ... | I use a Compact Flash card to hold an ext2 Linux File System ... Have you rebooted since fdisk stored the partition table? ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: Boot failure after installation
    ... You just type fdisk devname where devname is the disk device. ... You can only mount a file system. ... Use newfs to create file systems on each of the partitions except swap & c. ... Just boot it up and run it. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: reformating and fdisking help
    ... Fdisk will delete any partition you ... >> tell it too no matter what file system is on that partition. ... technical details usually just confuses them. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: large disk space problem?
    ... whole drive as one partition), fdisk is one tool that you can use. ... looks like the partition was resized but the file system wasn't. ... I was never too good at figuring out fdisk block counts, ... 156288321 blocks times 512 byte blocks times two ...
    (Fedora)