Re: Can I Resize A Partition With dd?

From: David (thunderbolt01_at_netscape.net)
Date: 08/24/03

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:08:44 GMT

Hank Kingwood wrote:
> I modified my /dev/hda3 partition to occupy more physical space with
> fdisk and dd by doing this:
>
> dd if=/dev/hda3 of=<NFS_path>/hda3.img bs=4096
> fdisk /dev/hda
> I resized /dev/hda3 to be bigger
> mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda3
> dd if=<NFS_path>/hda3.img of=/dev/hda3 bs=4096
>
> Everything on the system appears to work. My questions is:
>
> Q1: Would there be any problem with the file system?

I think I would have used "tar" or even "cp -a" to do it since
"dd" includes the empty disk space as well as the files.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Can I Resize A Partition With dd?
    ... Hank Kingwood wrote: ... > fdisk and dd by doing this: ... Would there be any problem with the file system? ... Registered with The Linux Counter. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: 486 and Linux
    ... we need to get fdisk and df outputs. ... Now that you can boot up with the rescue disks, ... that is the /boot file system is entirely below cylinder ... but stop in the BIOS setup and get the BIOS to tell you what ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Problems with Ext2fs on a CF card.
    ... | I use a Compact Flash card to hold an ext2 Linux File System ... Have you rebooted since fdisk stored the partition table? ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: Boot failure after installation
    ... You just type fdisk devname where devname is the disk device. ... You can only mount a file system. ... Use newfs to create file systems on each of the partitions except swap & c. ... Just boot it up and run it. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: reformating and fdisking help
    ... Fdisk will delete any partition you ... >> tell it too no matter what file system is on that partition. ... technical details usually just confuses them. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)