ThinkPad i1300, XF86Config, extern_disp and a tale of two kernels

From: Madhusudan Singh (spammers-go-here_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 09/08/03

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:15:27 -0400

Hi,

        I have two different kernel on my machine :

        1. 2.4.20-8 (Vanilla kernel shipped with RH 9).
        2. 2.4.21 (custom compiled kernel with acpi patch and IRQ's allocated with
ACPI).

        The XF86Config being the same with both, I notice the following behaviour :

1 - > Use of Fn-F7 allows me to switch between external monitor, external
monitor+own monitor and own monitor modes, as should be.

2. -> Use of Fn-F7 does nothing. If I boot with external monitor connected,
only the external monitor works, otherwise only the laptop's own monitor
works.

        I have heard that the BIOS sets this thing up in some fashion, but since I
use ACPI subsystem to assign IRQ's in the 2nd case, I can presumably not
use that. Is there some way I could mimic the behaviour of configuration 1
with configuration 2 ?

Thanks,

MS

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem booting FC5 after good install and doing the "first boot" configuration
    ... boot configuration and is causing this problem. ... display settings when I use my other FC5 machine that has an nVidia ... this monitor has worked perfectly ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: SP2 and Headless keyboard reg entry doesnt seem to work
    ... however normally it does not have a monitor attached. ... be plugged in at anytime for diagnostics or configuration. ... is not plugged in during boot, then it will not work later. ... >> Since our devices are often used with a barcode scanner ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Problem with external monitor
    ... that I want to use with two of my laptop ... With the external monitor connected and switched on, upon bootup, the ... The other laptop has a 17" display and an i7CPU, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: F17 External Monitor on 945GM
    ... At this point the screen flickers again and my laptop comes back but the ... LCD to where the monitor "is" but it's not lit so no joy there. ... play with any of the kbd combo keys to force the external monitor gnome-shell ... I had some similar problems with FC16 on an HP laptop with the i915 chip set. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problem with external monitor
    ... that I want to use with two of my laptop ... With the external monitor connected and switched on, upon bootup, the ... nVidia and the Haswell controllers, ...
    (Debian-User)