Re: GRUB / XP

PenguinsAnonymous
Date: 09/25/03

Date: 24 Sep 2003 23:13:09 -0500

Luke Albers <gtg940r@mail.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Hey everyone

> I have a Compaq presario 2500 laptop that currently rundows XP, and I want
> to move to RH9. I need to dual boot until I can get all the problems worked
> out and ensure compatibility with my school's network and all the programs I
> need, and at that time I am going to ipe out windows. I already have used
> partition magic to shrink my windows partition, and give me a 10 GB
> partition at the end of the disk. My question is: when grub installs in
> the MBR, will I be able to boot windows from it? I have searched google,
> but seen people with different versions, some saying they got it working and
> some had big problems. This computer needs to work for me every day, so I
> need to plan in advance to avoid problems. So I am thinking that all I have
> to do is install RH9 to the second partition, and let grub have the MBR, and
> everything will work flawlessly, right? I hope so.

> Thank you

Maybe not what you want to hear but you can always
put the MBR back right? Using fdisk and a dos disk.
Size of disk? Type of disk?
As for it working you haven't said a lot to get a
guarantee which is why I thought I'd throw this in.
Investigate what I said, feel confident move on.
You are the key person that will make it smooth.
There is no magic.
-Walt

  • Dual boot: Invalid slice
    ... I try use dual boot with ntloader, ... <partition 3> ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Virus issue relating to dual booting XP and Vista Beta 2
    ... The data will be stored on another partition. ... if I encountered a virus corruption problem or virus attack while ... It's entirely possible that a virus on one partition or disk can infect ... hard disk instead of installing it in a dual boot setup on the same ...
  • Re: Merge two small disks into one large
    ... which I believe will copy the XP and data partitions to the new disk. ... Should I then make a new partition on the new disk and copy the second ... boot device and my dual boot system should work as it did before. ... booting, then doing Ubuntu, as you are going to have to reinstall GRUB ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Merge two small disks into one large
    ... which I believe will copy the XP and data partitions to the new disk. ... Should I then make a new partition on the new disk and copy the second ... boot device and my dual boot system should work as it did before. ... booting, then doing Ubuntu, as you are going to have to reinstall GRUB ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Linux community software-update-anarchy polemic
    ... Remember, I'm just a monkey. ... That implies that if you have one disk per partition, ... Trust the kernel or don't trust the kernel, but either way, both ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)